League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How many are you lot?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 barrowtilidie

barrowtilidie
  • Coach
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

How many you bringing up to barrovia on monday?
Normally a good group of supporters make the trip, you taking a bus?
Good luck, have a good trip.
Btid

#2 GAZ1983

GAZ1983
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (barrowtilidie @ Apr 3 2010, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many you bringing up to barrovia on monday?
Normally a good group of supporters make the trip, you taking a bus?
Good luck, have a good trip.
Btid

they will come on a rickshaw mate biggrin.gif ...take it from a Fev fan tongue.gif (watch for the crowd at Bramall Lane next sunday...Fev are on fire and we'll "2-1" em!!!!)

#3 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

I think I've spotted a non member of the Rugby League Family here, someone prepared to have a go at fellow RL Fans because they may not have the financial resources to follow their team home and away......We don't all have liquorice for our roots, some of us struggle with our Allsorts!!!! Especially if we are United on a Wednesday, the away trips to various cul de sacs biggrin.gif are very strained.......
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#4 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:16 AM

.... and you in Scarborough for the 2nd consecutive match!!!!!

It is 3am and after a beautiful sunny warm day here at the end of a cul-de-sac, it is now absolutely hissing it down, as forecast.....

..... another mud bath at Craven Park... happy days............. oh well only 10 min walk for a match.... may as well be a home match !!!!

Eagles Supporters Group, Barrow Branch, will be there in force to support their team which has not been bought by a sugar daddy intent on getting into SL

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#5 SRC

SRC

Graphic Artist

• Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Eagleraider @ Apr 5 2010, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eagles Supporters Group, Barrow Branch, will be there in force to support their team which has not been bought by a sugar daddy intent on getting into SL

Firstly, it has now stopped raining and the surface Craven Park will be perfect.

Secondly, the club is owned by Debenture holders (similar to shareholders).

Just a question to 'Eagleraider'. Where are Sheffield getting their cash from to bring over their overseas contingent and sustain them ??? It's certainly not on crowds of 900. This is not a dig at Sheffield, just making a point that ALL RL clubs have investors/sponsors and very few make a profit (which Barrow did in 2009 and 2010 by the way).

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (SRC @ Apr 5 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a question to 'Eagleraider'. Where are Sheffield getting their cash from to bring over their overseas contingent and sustain them ??? It's certainly not on crowds of 900.

How would you know ? huh.gif

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 SRC

SRC

Graphic Artist

• Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Griff @ Apr 5 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would you know ? huh.gif

900 crowd x 12 guaranteed home games x 10 per person = 108,000
RFL handout = 100,000

Even if you add sponsorship and possible cup games (split gate) etc, there's still a big shortfall to run a club with 20-odd playing staff, plus coaches etc etc.

It's not just Sheffield, it's all clubs that require extra revenue to put a competitive team on the field.

An overseas player with accommodation, bills, travel, salary, bonuses must costat least 30K PA.

#8 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

Since day one of the reformation in December 1999 Sheffield Eagles have never gone to a point of spending more than they can afford. The players who come to the club WANT to play for Sheffield Eagles and do not demand huge salaries..... if they do they are shown the door, that's if they get inside it to start with.....

Eagles work on a basis of the majority of staff work with the club on a part time basis and some are sponsored through Community Plans etc.

No matter what the gate is, the board, which has been in situ since day one have a policy of don't spend what you haven't got.

No one single member of the directors or shareholdrs holds more than (I think the figure is) 15% of the shares.

Eagles won the award for the Northern Ford Premiership Club of the Year: 2001 and the Community Club of The Year 2009. They must be doing something right consistently in a soccer area, to "beat" the RL heartland clubs on this score.

Eagles are aiming for SL,BUT not at all costs, not as the ealiest moment or by bankrupting themselves. 11 years in motion, not in debt, not having sunk to needing help to get out of the ...... and looking forward to getting there when the time comes and not before.

What Eagles spend on players salaries etc is their business and if the players were not happy, they would be leaving..... they are not.

30 k a year, you are joking... surely.... that is, in my opinion, why people such as Rooney, Catic, Macgilvary(??) and uncle tom cobbly and all arrive via D J Consultants etc....

I am all for SL in Cumbria, but I do think certain aspects need serious considerations first, and crowds of 1800 to 2000 are a start, but not enough, the ground and its facilities, which I have liked since 1968 and having Risedale kids playing on it, seeing Keith Jarett sign and play, need a serious update.

Craven Park has the best playing surface of the Cumbrian Grounds, it is the easiest to reach (but I suppose being in Barrow I would say that!!)

#9 SRC

SRC

Graphic Artist

• Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (Eagleraider @ Apr 6 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since day one of the reformation in December 1999 Sheffield Eagles have never gone to a point of spending more than they can afford. The players who come to the club WANT to play for Sheffield Eagles and do not demand huge salaries..... if they do they are shown the door, that's if they get inside it to start with.....

Eagles work on a basis of the majority of staff work with the club on a part time basis and some are sponsored through Community Plans etc.

No matter what the gate is, the board, which has been in situ since day one have a policy of don't spend what you haven't got.

Eagles are aiming for SL,BUT not at all costs, not as the ealiest moment or by bankrupting themselves. 11 years in motion, not in debt, not having sunk to needing help to get out of the ...... and looking forward to getting there when the time comes and not before.

What Eagles spend on players salaries etc is their business and if the players were not happy, they would be leaving..... they are not.

In the above, if you replace 'Sheffield' for 'Barrow', '1999 for '1875' and '11 years' for '135 years' you pretty much sum up Barrow Raiders today. If we paid totally silly money for players we'd have a squad capable of holding its' own in Super League. We have a squad of ex/fringe SL players and the rest either locals or just good Championship quality players.

#10 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

I refer to a comment I posted on the Barrow forum a few weeks ago.

A good number of Barrow players were in discussions with Fev, who with a good degree of certainty know what those players are on at Barrow - i.e. Jamie, Catic, Luisi, Fletch, Henderson (and Andy Ellis) last year et al.

In addition, some of the Yorks based players and their families are more than happy to talk about the 'great' deals they are getting at Barrow - and sort of confirms the numbers suggested by Fev - probably the best in our league - by some.

That's not to say it's a bad thing. Placing players into 'community deals' gets the club around the cap and funds them from an 'external' source - and DJ's input is reported to be considerable, regardless of debenture holders etc - which of course is reported but I have no way of validating.
But, listening to some of those yorks players - and there families, whilst it wouldn't be the end of Barrow if DJ wasn't on the scene, the club wouldn't be enjoying the best spell it's had in years. Again, not rocket science, and nowt wrong with that.

The value of his financial contribution shouldn't be underestimated. I wished my club had that kind of resource, tho I'm not convinced that having one man making "ALL" the decisions is that healthy for a rugby club

Edited by Robin Evans, 06 April 2010 - 11:31 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (SRC @ Apr 6 2010, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
900 crowd x 12 guaranteed home games x 10 per person = 108,000
RFL handout = 100,000

That's less than half the declared turnover last published accounts.

An overseas player with accommodation, bills, travel, salary, bonuses must cost at least 30K PA.

When was the last time you signed one ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 Grey Beard

Grey Beard
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

Speaking of Keith Jarret, I know he had to retire from the game due to a stroke. Do you know what he is doing now?
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

#13 Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition
  • Coach
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Having someone plough lots of his own cash into a club and getting the players in who will bring sucess is not a bad thing, while it lasts. What if the benefactor loses interest/dies/gets bored/runs out of money? The drop from there is massive. Look at Gretna FC and Doncaster RLFC.

The Sheffield Eagles Supporters Club - Barrow Branch informes me that Mr Johnston says his ambition is to see Barrow play in Super League. In all in favour of a cumbrian team in SL, especially in place of the illegal Crusaders. But if theyre going to play in SL, best get building a new ground stat.
2010 - Where it all begins again......

#14 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

some of the Barrow Branch didn't speak to you !!!!!

The supporters group is greater than 1 you will be pleased to know !!!

cool.gif cool.gif

#15 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Eagleraider @ Apr 7 2010, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
some of the Barrow Branch didn't speak to you !!!!!

The supporters group is greater than 1 you will be pleased to know !!!

cool.gif cool.gif

Would they be the Group who were not members of Alcoholics Anonymous or the disciples of Yates Wine Lodge!!!!!
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users