TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Mick Potter confirmed as the new coach of Bradford

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

http://www.thetelegr...rd_Bulls_coach/
And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#62 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 16 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My pointwas two-fold.

Firstly that English coaches rarely get another opportunity at top-level if it doesn't work out first time. McNamara actually got the England job when the Bulls were going okay and he hadn't been sacked, so not really relevant.

My other point was about fans writing them off. Fans are happy with Potter, yet if an English coach had taken over Saints and not delivered as much as him there would be uproar.

Spot on.

#63 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Jul 13 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
iv'e said for weeks and i'll say it again. Brian McDermott will be coaching Bradford Bulls next season. when i had a meet up with some ex Army mates in London recently and we took in a Quins game. the talk amongst Quins supporters in the bar was who will take over from Brian McDermott for next season.

Got any racing tips?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#64 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,532 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

I'll wait and see what happens next season.

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Johnoco @ Jul 16 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll wait and see what happens next season.

Aye. Same here.

He may be sh!te, he may be good, only time will tell.

Plenty actually scoffed at Menzies joining the Bulls (and I recently bumped that thread) but look how he went.

Yes I'm not excited by this appointment, and the lack of concern from Saints fans says enough for me to be cynical, but I'll at least give him the chance, whilst not getting carried away.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 16 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I'm not excited by this appointment, and the lack of concern from Saints fans says enough for me to be cynical, but I'll at least give him the chance, whilst not getting carried away.

Agreed - but the immediate header in the T & A could be construed as a "Oh Deary Me"..

"Potter: I'm not here to revolutionise Bradford Bulls"

From where I am stood - thats exactly what I did not want to hear...

#67 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

Does Potter actually talk?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#68 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 16 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye. Same here.

He may be sh!te, he may be good, only time will tell.

Plenty actually scoffed at Menzies joining the Bulls (and I recently bumped that thread) but look how he went.

I don't know if I'm 'excited' or not to be honest, I'm certainly looking forward to the next game, but then, by Friday I always am. We've got a new coach for next season, he proved to be decent at Catalans, he's got a bit of stick at St Helens, if he has a bit of luck there is no reason why he shouldn't keep the majority happy at the Bulls. At the end of the day he'll leave and some will say he's been great, some won't be too sure, and some will say good riddance, c'est la vie.

He's been pretty circumspect so far, there again, he's still employed by Saints, so he's hardly got round to a detailed list of things he would like to change at Odsal. No doubt he will stick with what he feels is good and bin what he doesn't like. He was, I assume, used to a constrained budget at Catalans, so that shouldn't be a big problem for him.

In the meantime LSH steps into the breech. If we can get a few troops back on parade then we can make the eight, if not it will be more difficult, but I'm ever hopeful.

Still running with the Bulls!! cool.gif

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#69 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

I'm happy with the signing. Firstly we could have had worst. He offers a fresh approach, has a knowledge of the French game I hope he taps into and had a great career in the NRL. The season isn't over yet and could hit the Bulls bench with two trophies in tow. Fingers crossed he doesn't keep the deadwood.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#70 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 16 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My pointwas two-fold.

Firstly that English coaches rarely get another opportunity at top-level if it doesn't work out first time. McNamara actually got the England job when the Bulls were going okay and he hadn't been sacked, so not really relevant.

My other point was about fans writing them off. Fans are happy with Potter, yet if an English coach had taken over Saints and not delivered as much as him there would be uproar.

Last English coach at Saints?

Hanley.

1st Season, won the grand final.
2nd Season sacked after 2 games.
Next seen, dancing on ice.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#71 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

As for Potter, I'm uncertain. Compared to Anderson he looks like a backwards step when you just look at won and lost.

However when you take into account resources and transistion, it does not look so bad.

After 6 or 7 games this year I would have been saying woeful as he took alot away from Saints, however our attacking flair seams to be back and the kids have done well.

I see him as a kind of interim coach that will keep a club on an even keel and rebuild it, but does not have the killer instinct nessasary to win games. Not a motivational speaker, more a planner and designer. Saints had a similar coach, before super league and the likes of cunningham, wellens etc came through under him then McCrea came in and won some trophies with the team that had been built plus 1 or 2 big signings.

Well we have josh perry for next year and we are looking at another, so hopefully history will repeat itself.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#72 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Jul 16 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm happy with the signing. Firstly we could have had worst. He offers a fresh approach, has a knowledge of the French game I hope he taps into and had a great career in the NRL. The season isn't over yet and could hit the Bulls bench with two trophies in tow. Fingers crossed he doesn't keep the deadwood.

I'd guess that any changes will be subject to our budget limits, as I can't see Hood 'splashing out' money we haven't got. Biggest hope might be that the crowds rise, that would push the spending power northwards, but to be honest, I can't foresee any very large increase.

I know a few people specifically said they wouldn't come back until Macca left, but I'd guess the vast majority of the old glory days fans have other reasons for no longer attending matches; for most it's likely to be simply that we're not winning enough games. Let's hope things pick up.

#73 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Jul 17 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd guess that any changes will be subject to our budget limits, as I can't see Hood 'splashing out' money we haven't got. Biggest hope might be that the crowds rise, that would push the spending power northwards, but to be honest, I can't foresee any very large increase.

I know a few people specifically said they wouldn't come back until Macca left, but I'd guess the vast majority of the old glory days fans have other reasons for no longer attending matches; for most it's likely to be simply that we're not winning enough games. Let's hope things pick up.

Perhaps a fresh approach and new techniques could turn around the sub-standard players?

Look at the successes of Warrington and Wigan with the only real change being a new coach.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#74 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 17 2010, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps a fresh approach and new techniques could turn around the sub-standard players?

Look at the successes of Warrington and Wigan with the only real change being a new coach.

Andrew, Potter is the right choice for me, you will be ok, just hope you sort out the marketing.
Bulls to become a force again sometime very soon.

#75 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 17 2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Andrew, Potter is the right choice for me, you will be ok, just hope you sort out the marketing.
Bulls to become a force again sometime very soon.

I'll have to wait and see. Some are clamouring for him to be the messiah because those fans were desperate. I'm supportive, but patient and tentative.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#76 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 17 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll have to wait and see. Some are clamouring for him to be the messiah because those fans were desperate. I'm supportive, but patient and tentative.

Indeed, time will tell. rolleyes.gif

#77 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Jul 17 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd rather play a kid than the deadwood.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#78 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 17 2010, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh absolutely. Someone with a bit better luck on the injury front would be a big advantage over the last couple of years too. At the end of the day squad players are supposed to be just that, players you go to when the better ones are unavailable, but too many of ours have been picked virtually every week. I mean, fair enough, we could play the kids, but you can't put six and seven in the side every week, it's just no fair on the lads themselves. In any case you really want to be introducing youngsters into a stable side that has a good ethos, and with good pros from whom they can learn, and that's hardly been the case for much this season.

Edited by Bulliac, 17 July 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#79 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Jul 17 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh absolutely. Someone with a bit better luck on the injury front would be a big advantage over the last couple of years too. At the end of the day squad players are supposed to be just that, players you go to when the better ones are unavailable, but too many of ours have been picked virtually every week. I mean, fair enough, we could play the kids, but you can't put six and seven in the side every week, it's just no fair on the lads themselves. In any case you really want to be introducing youngsters into a stable side that has a good ethos, and with good pros from whom they can learn, and that's hardly been the case for much this season.

Sadly everything you've written has been obliterated as Potter is at St Helens, they've had rotten injury luck and brought in young players AND done reasonably well, not by their high standards but by the norm! They've made the proverbial lemonade. Rassun frassun!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#80 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

If the bulls fans see Potter as their saviour then they're going to be very disappointed. He has experience and a fair amount of tactical knowledge but his personality (or rather lack of) means he isn't able to bond with the players and impart all that knowledge onto them. He simply isn't able to motivate and get the best out of players the way other top class coaches can.

This type of personality also doesn't go down too well with ther fans and Potter's reluctance to speak to them makes him seem passionless & disinterested.

He's by no means the worst coach Saints have ever had but he's a long way from being the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users