Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Foreign Team by Invitation

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 13 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nicked from the "At Least One Super League club to lose licence in 2011, RFL Confirm" thread.

The Halifax Courier quoting League Express;

A few quotes;

Article in full

yes, yes, We've read all that before. What I was specifically referring to were

1. The 2500 figure for gates
2. The I million figure for turnover

These were not mentioned before last week AFAIK

A Fev Blog

#42 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 13 2010, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, yes, We've read all that before. What I was specifically referring to were

1. The 2500 figure for gates
2. The I million figure for turnover

These were not mentioned before last week AFAIK

The 2500 figure most certainly was because it was even in programmes from earlier this year. It appears at least that one was well known by the clubs before now. Ian Millward reckons Leigh will definitely be getting the 5000 or so needed next game. Free tickets perhaps? Some sort of large scale invitations?

#43 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 13 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 2500 figure most certainly was because it was even in programmes from earlier this year. It appears at least that one was well known by the clubs before now. Ian Millward reckons Leigh will definitely be getting the 5000 or so needed next game. Free tickets perhaps? Some sort of large scale invitations?

They're doing an armed forces theme - Help for Heroes

So any member of the armed forces will be let in free on production of their MOD90 card, and also ST holders can bring a friend for a fiver.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#44 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 13 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok then. Where? Link?

A Fev Blog

#45 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 11 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did i forget the roaring success that is Les Catalans Dragons ? rolleyes.gif

One Challenge Cup final, one Challenge Cup semi final, one play-off semi-final and one play-off quarter final after a 3rd placed league finish.

All in the space of five years. Not many teams with a better record.

QUOTE (R J Wagsmith @ Aug 11 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has also been stated that one team from the Championship will definitely be promoted to Superleague. But what if all the other bids from current Superleague clubs are self-evidently better? Fair and just? I think not. But, no matter, the Gods have spoken.

They won't be.

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 12 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a done deal then, Castleford and Wakefield out and Widnes and Toulouse in.

Widnes in without doubt. Toulouse I suspect would only be in if we were expanding to 16 clubs. At the moment I can't see them being brought in, but this may be with the caveat that they are guaranteed a place in 2015.

Wakefield I think will be the team booted out.

Edited by Black Country Wire, 13 August 2010 - 08:50 PM.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#46 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Black Country Wire @ Aug 13 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One Challenge Cup final, one Challenge Cup semi final, one play-off semi-final and one play-off quarter final after a 3rd placed league finish.

All in the space of five years. Not many teams with a better record.

They won't be.

Widnes in without doubt. Toulouse I suspect would only be in if we were expanding to 16 clubs. At the moment I can't see them being brought in, but this may be with the caveat that they are guaranteed a place in 2015.

Wakefield I think will be the team booted out.

barring the re-introduction of p and r giving toulouse that much notice of a place wouldnt be such a bad thing in many regards. Good titanesque build up time.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#47 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 13 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok then. Where? Link?

Try this one.

http://www.halifaxco...ngth.6354393.jp

Edited by Jill Halfpenny fan, 13 August 2010 - 10:04 PM.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#48 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Jill Halfpenny fan @ Aug 13 2010, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was mention of it in the Widnes Programme early on in the season too. That one has been well known for a while now.

#49 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,081 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 13 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Link to anything before Aug 4th please.

Yes, when they put club programs on line. wink.gif

I think there is enough in the previous posts to show that clubs have known the criteria for quite a while.

Note: Not everything is always linkable.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#50 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Aug 13 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, when they put club programs on line. wink.gif

I think there is enough in the previous posts to show that clubs have known the criteria for quite a while.

Note: Not everything is always linkable.

Very poor. This kind of thing would turn up somewhere if it was so widely known.

Do Widnes do their own programme? Or Game On? If the latter, which issue?

Either way, it's scant coverage of an important issue, and my point remains.

Why the need for this way of doing things and presenting it to the public? Just e completely open & upfront. At this stage, no-one really knows what Toulouse have to do for exmaple. Are they exempt, as a foreign club and will be given SL 'by invitation' or are they in the same boat as the other CC clubs?

Such lack of transparency & confusion gives plenty of fuel to those that say thesystem is not fair & easily manipluated to give the 'right' result regardless of merit.

A Fev Blog

#51 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

i agree that their should be more transparency on this subject. i personally believe the french game needs a shot in the arm, it might be the amended federation trained rules or it could be Toulouse. The more i think about the press releases over the last year or so about clubs not fulfilling promises on facilities might just open the door on the invitation club.

waddell

#52 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Aug 13 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're doing an armed forces theme - Help for Heroes

So any member of the armed forces will be let in free on production of their MOD90 card, and also ST holders can bring a friend for a fiver.

Ended up with 1922 today - beat Toulouse in the last home game 38 - 16

So average around 2100

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#53 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Aug 14 2010, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So average around 2100

No Licence for you then....... laugh.gif

Only joking sorry wink.gif
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#54 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 14 2010, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No Licence for you then....... laugh.gif

Only joking sorry wink.gif

nope but no shock is it - only Widnes tick the box - no shock there either tongue.gif

Edited by amh, 14 August 2010 - 09:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users