Jump to content

Recommended Posts


  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New team announced by Scotland RL Forth Valley Vikings based in Tillicoultry  Will join Edinburgh Eagles, Strathmore Silverbacks, Glasgow, Fife Lions. Small but positive steps  

Well I'm now in the players WhatsApp group. So I guess I'm involved now 😅

Well this thread has certainly moved on from the first post, but if anyone is interested, Forth Valley Vikings have got their first official training session tonight. There was a maximum of 30 spaces

Rugby league in Scotland is always a tough sell, a very very very minor sport, more people play curling than RL but the potential is there and I know many RU players who love it and did play it out of the RU season

We could do with another central belt team, Ayrshire and Borders but money is virtually non existent for Scotland RL

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I remember reading that. Good way for them to get regular fixtures. Are the 5 Scottish teams running their own league now?

If Edinburgh and Glasgow play in the NE league then then they could run a 2nd team in the Scottish league

That sounds like a good long-term goal, but I doubt they will be in a position to do that any time soon, it sounds like they are still trying to consolidate one team, let alone starting a reserves team.  They seem to be going slow and steady, which is good and more realistic in my opinion.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 2blackrooks said:

Rugby league in Scotland is always a tough sell, a very very very minor sport, more people play curling than RL but the potential is there and I know many RU players who love it and did play it out of the RU season

We could do with another central belt team, Ayrshire and Borders but money is virtually non existent for Scotland RL

I remember some years ago RL going great guns in Glasgow when there were development officers in the schools. That was until the funding dried up.

I think Aberdeen suffered as it is very out of the way and they had a lack of opposition.

Like anywhere there is no reason RL cant work in Scotland but it needs sustained funding and boots on the ground and someone to pay for all that. RL has been show to take off pretty well when the funding and support is there.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, langpark said:

That sounds like a good long-term goal, but I doubt they will be in a position to do that any time soon, it sounds like they are still trying to consolidate one team, let alone starting a reserves team.  They seem to be going slow and steady, which is good and more realistic in my opinion.

I agree. The main goal should be to play regular games and establish their one team.

If Edinburgh and Glasgow play across the border then will the other 3 teams just play each other or look to join the NE league too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, langpark said:

Brilliant news, but seems an odd place to start a team.  As someone who knows very little about Scotland, it just seems a town with just 5,900 residents will be a pretty tough sell. 

The larger population centres of Stirling, Alloa and Dunfermline (all of which have RU clubs) aren't far from 'Tilly'.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, langpark said:

Brilliant news, but seems an odd place to start a team.  As someone who knows very little about Scotland, it just seems a town with just 5,900 residents will be a pretty tough sell. 

5900 is plenty of people to choose from, they only need 17 players, we have Super League sides in only marginally larger towns. 

Great news on the new club and best of luck to them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MZH said:

They aren't far away from me. I'm tempted to send them an email to find out a bit more. I haven't played since my teens but if they are looking for players I wouldn't mind a run out at a low standard on a casual basis. 

Please do!  I know how hard it is to start a club from scratch and literally anyone and everyone that can help out, even in the slightest way, is valuable!  Even if you don't end up playing often, or at all, I am sure you can help out in some positive way.

  

35 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

5900 is plenty of people to choose from, they only need 17 players, we have Super League sides in only marginally larger towns.

Sure, but if 5900 is a total population, then the 'actual' available population (males, 18-35 or thereabouts) then it becomes a lot narrower, only in the hundreds.

As mentioned above though, if it is close to some other decent-sized towns then hopefully they can attract players from beyond their own town.  I am sure whoever is behind this must have thought of these things, so I'm sure they have some sort of a plan.  Best of luck to them, I will keenly follow their progress!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

The larger population centres of Stirling, Alloa and Dunfermline (all of which have RU clubs) aren't far from 'Tilly'.

I might also add that Tillicoultry is only ~5 kilometres west of Dollar.  Dollar Academy, private school with students aged up to 19, MIGHT (dependant on the "powers that be"), be a source of players for them.  Anyways, I wish them well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, langpark said:

Please do!  I know how hard it is to start a club from scratch and literally anyone and everyone that can help out, even in the slightest way, is valuable!  Even if you don't end up playing often, or at all, I am sure you can help out in some positive way.

  

Sure, but if 5900 is a total population, then the 'actual' available population (males, 18-35 or thereabouts) then it becomes a lot narrower, only in the hundreds.

As mentioned above though, if it is close to some other decent-sized towns then hopefully they can attract players from beyond their own town.  I am sure whoever is behind this must have thought of these things, so I'm sure they have some sort of a plan.  Best of luck to them, I will keenly follow their progress!

Well I'm now in the players WhatsApp group. So I guess I'm involved now 😅

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

I suspect the club's name choice - Forth Valley rather than Tillicoultry - reflects an ambition to appeal to a much wider area than the town in which they're based.

This

20 hours ago, langpark said:

That sounds like a good long-term goal, but I doubt they will be in a position to do that any time soon, it sounds like they are still trying to consolidate one team, let alone starting a reserves team.  They seem to be going slow and steady, which is good and more realistic in my opinion.

Edinburgh probably could, although no one knows what numbers will return post covid. Glasgow more difficult to judge as they’re a very new team/club

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...