TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Ellis is man of the match in the NRL's Sunday prime telecast

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 22 2010, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that the key to understanding the improvement of the English players in Australia is the standard of coaching and facilities.

Gareth Ellis is coached by one of the greatest rugby league coaches of the modern era, Tim Sheens. The remarkable Mr Sheens is a coach who has won three Australian premierships with the Canberra Raiders (1989, 1990, 1994) and one with the Wests Tigers (2005). His player-pupils have included Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart, Glen Lazarus, Ruben Wiki, David Furner, Bradley Clyde, John Ferguson, Ken Nagas, Benji Marshall, Scott Prince, Brett Hodgson, Robbie Farah, and Patrick Richards. Tim Sheens is now the coach of World Champions Australia. How could Sheens' superior wisdom and experience not have had an effect on Gareth Ellis?

Sam Burgess is coached by John Lang, who coached Cronulla from 1994-2001 (taking them to the semi finals every year except two), and who later won an NRL premiership with the Penrith Panthers in 2003. His player-pupils have included Preston Campbell, David Peachey, Richie Barnett, Craig Gower, Ryan Girdler, Rhys Wesser, Luke Lewis, and Tony Puletua. How could Lang's wisdom and experience not have had an effect on Sam Burgess?

Coaching facilities in Australia of course far outstrip those available in Britain. These also influence player performance.

######.

#62 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

I watched Gareth Ellis play today. He was not the MoM this week, but he put in a strong performance again.
He remains the number one backrower, and second best forward (after Robbie Farah) in the West Tigers team.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 22 August 2010 - 06:16 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#63 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 22 2010, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that the key to understanding the improvement of the English players in Australia is the standard of coaching and facilities.

Gareth Ellis is coached by one of the greatest rugby league coaches of the modern era, Tim Sheens. The remarkable Mr Sheens is a coach who has won three Australian premierships with the Canberra Raiders (1989, 1990, 1994) and one with the Wests Tigers (2005). His player-pupils have included Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart, Glen Lazarus, Ruben Wiki, David Furner, Bradley Clyde, John Ferguson, Ken Nagas, Benji Marshall, Scott Prince, Brett Hodgson, Robbie Farah, and Patrick Richards. Tim Sheens is now the coach of World Champions Australia. How could Sheens' superior wisdom and experience not have had an effect on Gareth Ellis?

Sam Burgess is coached by John Lang, who coached Cronulla from 1994-2001 (taking them to the semi finals every year except two), and who later won an NRL premiership with the Penrith Panthers in 2003. His player-pupils have included Preston Campbell, David Peachey, Richie Barnett, Craig Gower, Ryan Girdler, Rhys Wesser, Luke Lewis, and Tony Puletua. How could Lang's wisdom and experience not have had an effect on Sam Burgess?

Coaching facilities in Australia of course far outstrip those available in Britain. These also influence player performance.

before you get on your soap box there are plenty of people on here that arent even agreeing that they have improved yet!

#64 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (m brooksy @ Aug 20 2010, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gallen
Watmough
Lewis
Creagh
Ellis

That's my top five back rowers. Thaiday is excellent in attack but as MrPosh said a bit static in defence. Burgess is going to become a top player but isn't there yet, just makes too many errors(both in attack and defence) that cost his team. Gallen is simply superb, in my opinion the best forward in the world by quite a way at the minute. I've always rated Watmough and although he hasn't had the best of seasons he is still a cracking player. Creagh and Ellis are very similar players, they turn up every week putting in consistent performances all year round. Luke Lewis at Penrith is very skillful and plays almost likea traditional loose forward linking the forwards and backs

i'd have Frank Pritchard in as well..

Thaiday IMO is a front rower playing second row at the broncos to give their younger front rows a chance whilst haveing the back up of thaiday to do the work for them.. also he takes a lot out of a team early on (3 props on the pitch at the start is no fun for anyone) to then try and hit out wide.. he isnt a true back rower but he has more than a front rower.. caught in the middle..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users