Progress Report

Hawkwindbag

All been mostly quiet on here since the Newcastle debacle on the opening day, so I assume everyone must be reasonably happy ... ish !!

My own view is that we've gradually been improving week on week from that admittedly low starting point. The changes that have been made seem by and large to have worked (even though a number of players seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth!), defence in particular has improved and there's been an extra edge to the attack since Gibson, Leeming and Watson came in - though why we are persisting with Watson going to half-back so regularly is a mystery ... he needs to be running on to the ball in space.

The trouble is we've not had a test against the teams we expect to be of a similar ability; three games against southern clubs and then one against a team expected to finish top half of the Championship. The weather hasn't helped and we've had to slog away in rain and mud every week, but I thought we did pretty well at Halifax, albeit without ever seriously looking like winning. But the next two games, Whitehaven and the rearrangement at Doncaster will tell us a lot about how we can expect to fare in this division.

As long as we continue to improve we should have nothing to fear ...

I couldn't get to the Hemel and Halifax games but thought we were lucky to beat Gloucester but until we get a decent sunday without rain , wind and mud its impossible to access how we are doing. Unfortunetly the Whitehaven game at the weekend has now been postponed - no doubt it will be blue skies , calm and sun out this sunday..... from what ive seen Ince looks a decent winger.  

Archived