Auckland Nines IN PROGRESS

The conversion attempts so far have been embarrassingly poor.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Garcia getting some time on the pitch for the Panthers, and looking full of enthusiasm.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next up, the man with the weight of his country on his shoulders, Shaun Johnson.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's only the NZ Prime Minister in the studio! That's a sign of the event's status.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 unanswered points for the Warriors, after going 2 tries down.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

All the round 1 matches done - bring on the Ferns and the Jillaroos!

I think I'll have to go to bed after that, what with it being 3 in the morning...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Auckland 9's Day 1

Results:

1. Roosters 13 Rabbitohs 14
  2. Eels 4 Storm 14
  3. Knight 12 Cowboys 28
  4. Panthers 23 Tigers 7
  5. Warriors 34 Bulldogs 8
  6. Eagles 11 Broncos 8
  7. Dragons 20 Raiders 28
  8. Sharks 23 Titans 12
  9. Roosters 11 Eels 18
  10. Rabbitohs 12 Storm 18
  11. Knights 15 Pathers 14
  12. Cowboys 12 Tigers 13
  13. Warriors 12 Sea Eagles 15
  14. Bulldogs 15 Broncos 13
  15. Dragons 8 Sharks 17
  16. Raiders 15 Titans 26
  17. 123.jpg?w=640

Having got to the final the Warriors had to be favourites to win... but they didn't!

Risking Shaun Johnson in this tournament could have proved just that - a risk too far.

He limped off the pitch in the final

Corey Norman was named player of the tournament.

Was it just me, or did this tournament not have quite the spark of last season?

The weather on Day 2 certainly picked up.

The success of this tournament is the way that good young talent gets to be shown.

Do your own club!

STORM

Star: Blake Green. The five-eighth picked up right where left off on Day 1, again producing another solid display. Kicking his second 40-20 of the competition, their Nines skipper led the boys around the park with authority. Green has shut down any talk of Cameron Munster possibly slotting into the halves with two dominant days.

Flop: No flops today, not even in the tackle.

Young gun: Brodie Croft. The Storm’s NYC halfback, Croft was 18th man for the under 20s State of Origin last year. A playmaker with confidence, the little general backed himself with a number of chip and chases, while his vision and long passing game showed a lot of potential.

Key moment: Cameron Munster was carried from the field with a knee injury during their clash with the Cowboys. He’s expected to miss two-three weeks with a medial strain and missed their next match with the Eels.

He's not in my team as it stands - which is very fluid - just as there are other oprtions.

Blake Green  5/8   $340,700

He's not only settled in at Melbourne, but is being given responsiblility and is relishing being there.

Average in that position for season ahead if it were to be 50+, or even 60+, hopefully, would make him worth considering seriously.

He's not a gun but he's not cheap so he'd be a bit of a gamble which has a good chance of coming off I reckon.

The middle and upper priced players are one's I'm generally wary of.

Archived