Jump to content

gnidir

Coach
  • Posts

    431
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

5,576 profile views

gnidir's Achievements

307

Reputation

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAJKGMGA3Ho
  2. thats a serious commitment, I do wonder what the RFLs concerns over the Crusaders are. If they were to collapse, it would hardly be national news, and if they manage to grow something, well, its cost the RFL nothing really. They have had some poor ownership, but that could be said for many clubs who were simply let back in as a Phoenix. My only real concern with them is there isn't really a coherent plan of what they are trying to do. Personally, I think put down roots in Wrexham, with odd home games in Colywn Bay, or other parts of North Wales is enough. I worry that putting a red dragon on a shirt and changing a name is thought to somehow interest a whole nation. I have read a few times that fans wanted a change from Crusaders last time, and that might be the thing, perhaps something authentic would appeal more to a core demographic. set that, grow from there. It would be a shame to lose presence in Wales at a time when even Union is struggling and cutting teams. There is still a sporting landscape, its just not at the imagined scale, and so, a local, community backed team could just carve out a long term future there. Either way, I wish them all the best.
  3. Crazy Train Hurricanes? It would be a fantastic excuse for a walk out song at least
  4. WTF is that! How hard is it to get a Leeds jersey right!? that looks like a council estate Parramatta jersey
  5. the collar is like the GB jersey from the 90s, John Smiths logo, thick blue chevron, thin red each side. I can add a link. I dont mind it, I think a return to collars is overdue.
  6. 0% plus a minority of clubs would though, wouldn't it? im not sure of what's on the table. I do think the NRL is trying to grow the commercial elements of this, as opposed to 'buy' the league. Strong European competition paves the way to a World league, a World League brings in NFL level money. I get the impression that NRL are looking to bring some expertise, rather than dictate all terms, but they are looking at it through a commercial lens, whilst some clubs might not be able to. In a global game for example, how does a Castelford, or a Featherstone fit into that, for example.
  7. Yeah, the Americas Championship still runs, There were some issues with the USA hosting the last scheduled part I think, but dont quote me on that.
  8. West Kingston Hyenas. They still compete in the NCC. Most Clubs are pretty consistent now. I should have read the comments before posting this. Apologies for the double up
  9. In case you were wanting to watch, here the link: More than 20 years in Jamaica now, in my opinion one of the most underrated successful development stories of our game. u
  10. Would a possible solution be to partner up with whichever Welsh URC team gets folded by the WRU. Existing brand, fan base, infrastructure. A fraction of the running costs for the previous URC. If Crusaders isnt a strong brand in Wales, and thats what they need, then, there might actually be some traction to look at this. Dejected fans given something to look at, and for the first time possibly, it wouldnt be seen as imposing into their area, it could be their own rebellious thing to do.
  11. Yes, but this would apply to any new market too. My point is that NZ2 is not a new market, nor is it needed to secure an existing one. If expansion is the aim, and the business that goes with that, then I personally dont think the business of NZ2 stacks up in comparison to other options is all.
  12. Well, there is only one tv channel that would broadcast in NZ, Sky Sport. They already have NRL rights. There is only 1 betting company, owned by the Government, so no revenue stream there. Most of NZs economy is export in non consumer sectors, so it more that Australian brands like Harvey Norman benefit from coverage over here. I can't think of an NZ brand that trades in Oz, other than Xero. I agree that a teaming Christchurch could fill a 20k stadium, and I agree that the player base exists here. I just don think the business software expansion in NZ stacks up versus, say, a new market of similar size. My comments on SEQLD4 team are based on a different reasoning, that it secures dominance in a large market that another sport is actively trying to compete in. Protecting the existing revenue that is driving the NRL 'machine'
  13. There is no real value in bringing NZ 2 to the NRL though. The Warriors are the national League brand. The population isnt big enough to support number 2, although Christchurch would be the best option. There would be no additional TV revenue form having NZ 2. No real wider sponsorship revenue, as the NRL brands, and the NRL are on tv everywhere in NZ. There are enough quality players here to create a team, but I dont think the business of NZ 2 stacks up. Brisbane 3 makes sense because it solidifies the market and wards off the threat of AFL trying to expand into RL heartlands and converting potential players. Put simply, NZ 2 doesn't create any new market really. TO the NRLs credit, they are the reason for the increased awareness of our game in NZ. But NZRL are not well organised like the Warriors are, and the real ticket would be the creation of a meaningful national club competition to rival NSW Cup level. That creates more opportunities for players, and a new market for NZ. Unfortunately, NZRL have never managed to get anything up and running in a sustainable way. NRL in Fiji, new market, 4.5 million (I think) people. NZ 2, South Island, 1.2 Million, and the league fans are already engaged with a NRL team.
  14. This idea of a licence is misplaced. It is just a perceived way to bypass the RFL membership application process. It would cost an owner of a new NWC business probably less than 10 grand to get a licence. Also, the RFL doesn't stipulate things like exclusive marketing of development areas, so if you were an investor, willing to develop your business in an area, there is not guarantee that NWC2 would pop up on your doorstep if you had success. I have had an interest in the Crusaders since they came into existence. I often bought jerseys to help support the club (I have about 15 of them), but I do think that, as an investment proposition, there simply isnt the catchment to make it sustainable in even the medium term. I really hope that im wrong, and I would love to see the Crusaders carry on, but in this market, investing on our sport Is a black hole. Apologies if this sounds negative, I do really hope NWC come through this and find a way to grow.
  15. Count yourselves lucky. Currently there is still no legal way to watch SuperLeague In New Zealand. I was happily paying for SuperLeague+ until they turned my gas off when a 'deal' for NZ rights was done with a local broadcaster in Papua New Guinea. Only in Rugby League......
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.