Black South African Players: Green Vigo is alive and well and living in Britain

Fascinating stuff - many thanks for posting the link.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enjoyed that. Interesting that Bradford and Leeds were both heavily involved with the introduction of SA players during that time. Unfortunately, as the article mentions, Bradford were in desperate straits at the time, so those lads probably never got the rewards and exposure they deserved.

I remember some of those players very well, Abed was a decent goal kicker and also played Bradford League cricket, Haase didn't seem to be with us all that long. I saw Rosenberg a few times, he played for Leeds in the 1961 Championship Final at Odsal (my dad worked on the gate and I got in for nowt).

Another South African who played for us around 64-65 was Mick Brown, decent full back or wing. I wonder what happened to him? I recall he got injured the week before the 65 Yorkshire Cup Final and Jack Scattergood took his place for Northern's memorable final win.

Good memories.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Thanks for that - great player, glad to see he's still around.

Had Vigo signed for Wigan 10-15 years later then we would have been talking about him in the same breath as Boston, Offiah, Bevan and Van Vollenhoven. A truly great winger who just came along at the wrong time in the history of Wigan Rugby League Club and the game in general.