Starting seventeen

Hawkwindbag

So less than a week to go now to the serious stuff now folks!

With around 35 players to choose from there are plenty of possible starting line-ups for the Featherstone match, what do we think our best 17 will be?

This is based on what we've seen in the pre-season games (and how I think the coach's mind works!), though I believe Flanagan is fit to play and would have done so at Rochdale; not sure about Brown though. You'll note I've included no DR players at this stage ...

Watson
Agoro
Mvududu
Maun
Finigan
Grimshaw / Brown
Kain
Haley
Lee
Houston
Broughton
Casey
Mackay / Grimshaw

Subs

Flanagan
Brennan
Reed
Mackay / Backhouse

Plenty of decent players not included there though, including Ansell and Lyons who've done nothing wrong at all in the warm-ups ...

We need to pick the strongest 17 available for the opener, which is likely to be one of the hardest games of the season, with that id like to go with 

1 Watson

2 Barnett

3 Keinhorst

4 Maun

5 Finnigan

6 Grimmer

7 Kain

8 Yates

9Lee

10 Haley

11 Cosgrove

12 Casey

13 Sutcliffe

14 Brennan

15 Mvududu

16 Flanagan

17 Mackay

I realise the DR wont please everyone but this is Fev away and they will have Minns, Foster and Baldwinson so don't let anyone moan about players from a certain club... 

We need to pick the strongest 17 available for the opener, which is likely to be one of the hardest games of the season, with that id like to go with 

1 Watson

2 Barnett

3 Keinhorst

4 Maun

5 Finnigan

6 Grimmer

7 Kain

8 Yates

9Lee

10 Haley

11 Cosgrove

12 Casey

13 Sutcliffe

14 Brennan

15 Mvududu

16 Flanagan

17 Mackay

I realise the DR wont please everyone but this is Fev away and they will have Minns, Foster and Baldwinson so don't let anyone moan about players from a certain club... 

If we utilise dual reg then i dont think your far off Steve, although id probably swap Sutcliffe for Grimmer. I dont know if Baz is going to utilise dual reg but i hope we will see 17 Hunslet players on show Monday night, but either way il be there supporting whoever is in a Hunslet shirt! Cant wait for Monday!

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

To be honest, I've lost a bit of interest. The season so far has been stop-start and it seems ages ago, we almost played Featherstone in a friendly. Hope the enthusiasm comes back next Monday. 

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool

than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

I have managed to get Monday off work now as holiday.

For one I can't wait for Monday , I don't usually say that , with the weekend coming up.

I like King of Leon's selection apart from no Broughton , do think he has to be this team at the start of this game.

And I just hope we don't get any injuries.

Not enough size on the bench in KOL's team in my book. We are going to be up against some massive packs most weeks in this league, and we are going to need to be able to stand up to them to allow our backs to do the business. Agree with the comments about Broughton and Cosgrove, Broughton has been amongst the top three performers in pre-season.

Plus, I'm not aware that Keinhorst, Sutcliffe or Yates will be available for this game, in fact it seems likely Yates might be playing for Leeds this weekend.

Meanwhile the signings this week of Darby after successful trials, Duckworth and Briscoe on contract, plus Mulhern and Ward signed up on DR and AN Other supposedly from Salford for the season, my by reckoning makes a squad of 37 players. Whatever the rights and wrongs of having so many players to supply one team, at least everyone in the seventeen each week should know there will be someone breathing down their neck for the shirt, and there'll be no excuses for the coach continuing to pick poor performers, or play people out of position, as has happened in the past.    

Archived