Rugby League in the NW usa?

hello everyone, I just recently moved to Corvallis Oregon from California. I have played, coach union rugby. this town already has a union team playing in a lower division. I want to explore or at lest try and set up a rugby league team but I want to know where to closes team is.

@LLRugby

im not from the states but as far i know not sure if theres any rugby league on the west coast at the moment, although there should be there must be a reasonable amount of ex pat kiwis, aussies, english, pacific islanders and interested americans to set up a competition?

in the past ive read on sites like this about league being played in utah, west coast of canada & hawaii, also game recently started in mexico... think rugby league in states at moment is north of east coast, florida down south & a few social sides in chicago... try contacting USARL they would have few contacts for you... all the best  

There are no teams anywhere near Oregon. Your nearest teams would be in Vancouver if you're looking north of the border, other than that it would probably be Iowa. There have been people talking about setting up teams in Seattle, Utah and Orange County (California) in the past, but I don't think they have ever got off the ground. Like the poster above says, contact the USARL.

thanks guys, I thought Seattle had one called the force? I know BC has a rugby league but I am in no way financially set to have a team travel every few weeks across the border or travel to SoCal to play a few games. I was hoping to schedule a couple matches during the late spring and summer while giving some union guys a chance to keep playing during the off season. there is no reason why union and league can not coexist in america

@LLRugby

Get some nines going. It has proved a decent starter here in Spain and now provides a winter game that doesn't exist even in place with 13s leagues.

Hold a nines tournament at the end of the summer and PR the hell out of it between now and then.

thanks guys, I thought Seattle had one called the force? I know BC has a rugby league but I am in no way financially set to have a team travel every few weeks across the border or travel to SoCal to play a few games. I was hoping to schedule a couple matches during the late spring and summer while giving some union guys a chance to keep playing during the off season. there is no reason why union and league can not coexist in america

It seems there is/was such a team in Seattle, but I don't know what the current situation is.

There appear to be some links and contacts here: https://www.facebook.com/SeattleRLFC

Also on the USARL development regions page: http://www.usarl.com/about/developing-regions/

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Whilst there was once a small Oregon based league in the 1980's (three clubs), well before the AMNRL were founded, there hasn't been anything in the area since. I would wonder if any of the people who had a hand in that first league would be still interested in supporting a new club or league.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know if the folks in seattle are still interested in playing, plan would be to play a 3-4 series of matches the first year with hopes to generate interest for other clubs to form and create a NW league with the winner playing a match with BC league.

@LLRugby

Archived