We are not alone

Blue Monkey

With regard to the total absence of any Lions coverage in the Salford Advertiser's recent replacement, the Manchester Weekly News, we are not alone in receiving a total snub from the kind folk who (dis)organise the M.E.N.

Both Rochdale Hornets and Rochdale football are not overlooked due to the continued publication of the Rochdale Observer.

However, their neighbours in Oldham appear to be on the end of the same shameful mistreatment due to the loss of the Oldham Advertiser. In their version of the MWN, the Tameside & Oldham edition, there's not a sausage about both Roughyeds and Latics. 

Words fail me.

Keith brings them up constantly because press coverage is vital to the clubs survival.We need to let Joe public know that we are still alive and very much kicking and are doing our very best to put a winning team on the park and also fighting tooth and nail to return to Swinton. Without press coverage this job becomes harder. I am constantly asked by lapsed fans for news of the Lions because they don't know whats going on. Why?, simple no press coverage. We need those type of fans back getting involved with the club again. We also need fans new to the game this can only be done by selling the game to them. Once again publicity. Yes press coverage for the area is VITAL to SWINTON.

Because of our obvious age demographic print is still going to be important for some time and getting back old fans is going to be just as important as getting new ones. We need to push on all fronts to get maximum media exposure. The demise/replacement  of the Advertiser is particularly bad timing with the opportunities of a cup final appearance and a promotion push to generate interest being diminished. On line is generally only good for those already on board and interested otherwise its not the best for catching the attention of potential new or returnee fans. Besides once you put aside the faddishness of online  good old print is still the best way of taking in the news for many. People can bang on about the MEN/MWN  forever as far as i'm concerned - because  it needs doing.

Keith brings them up constantly because press coverage is vital to the clubs survival.We need to let Joe public know that we are still alive and very much kicking and are doing our very best to put a winning team on the park and also fighting tooth and nail to return to Swinton. Without press coverage this job becomes harder. I am constantly asked by lapsed fans for news of the Lions because they don't know whats going on. Why?, simple no press coverage. We need those type of fans back getting involved with the club again. We also need fans new to the game this can only be done by selling the game to them. Once again publicity. Yes press coverage for the area is VITAL to SWINTON.

Also very true. Well said Glenn!

Three comments in favour of print made on an on line forum?

Personally the free paper goes straight in the blue bin. It has been garbage for twenty years so well before the on line revolution.

Yes they are rubbish. But if you stop buying papers and stop worrying about it these parasites will disappear and the huge effort our club puts into the real way of promoting our club ( eg 3000 + Twitter followers) will be recognized

THAT is the future. A write up in the MEN will get us little.

Mark, there are SIX people reading this topic at this moment in time. also how many people post comments on the forum? I'd say twenty if we are lucky ,they are the same people week in week out.Yesforums, twitter and facebook play a part but they don't cover a big enough area, the press does and whether you like it or not it is essentialthat we get our share of coverage.I have several friends that are staunch fans of the lions but don't have computers all the imformation they get comes from me. They all read the M.E.N and would love to be able to follow the Lions through the sports page, we need to be able to communicate to a bigger audience.

Glengarry whilst I appreciate only six people are reading this forum we I assume are all in a demographic above 40. The main club discussion takes place on Twitter and Facebook

This forum is as dead as the papers

And the papers will only print what we send them

We know that we send them things yet they don't print it

Another good reason to forget them

Finally...but a league express and pass it on to your none computer friends

Like it or not the advertiser and men will do us little or no good . Of this I am certain

Speaking of getting news circulating everything has gone quiet on the community development front.  I understand Jamie Elkaleh who was involved with this side of things as well as performance analysis has left the club and moved on to Salford.

Is there anything going on in the background?  I've not noticed anything on Facebook.

Speaking of getting news circulating everything has gone quiet on the community development front. I understand Jamie Elkaleh who was involved with this side of things as well as performance analysis has left the club and moved on to Salford.

Is there anything going on in the background? I've not noticed anything on Facebook.

My gods, is there nothing they won't steal. They'll be calling themselves Swinton and playing in blue soon!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

There is always more that can be done, however from my personal point of view from where we were last year to where we are now is massive - we are actually seeing more support from MEN (some recent good articles) and in fairness Neil Barker through social media supports our own stories regulary.

This will get better, has the season progresses.

I have personally been pleased with the coverage by RL extra on BBC Radio Manchester - Trevor Hunt/Jack Deardon are fully behind us and planning again to interview us ahead of the Cup Final.

Salford City Radio - Sportszone brilliant coverage of the the club (Tuesday nights)!

Salford Online - Editor and reporters support us regulary.

Twitter - we have approx 3300 followers and receive RT's in advance on many Championship clubs..600 followers I believe on Facebook.

Our news stories on our website are regular and appear to be well received!

I am or any other Director are always happy (including Duffs) to be interviewed by any type of media - If we can get support anywhere else be assured that we will to promote our club and brand.

Media work for us is very demanding on personal time but and the majority is without doubt on line or through local radio.

John

Speaking of getting news circulating everything has gone quiet on the community development front. I understand Jamie Elkaleh who was involved with this side of things as well as performance analysis has left the club and moved on to Salford.

Is there anything going on in the background? I've not noticed anything on Facebook.

The short answer is yes it continues however we obviously want to do a good deal more - we intend as soon as possible to announce our community plans in more detail which will be far more structured... to be presented at our board meeting on Friday.. John

On Facebook, the Swinton Lions Family endeavours to provide as much information to the fans as possible. Although it is not an official club site, club officials, players and ex-players subscribe to it as well as fans. 

It has, at present, 552 members and is open to the public (if you are a member of Facebook, that is).

On match days, I try and update scores as best as possible, whether from home or at the game. I use any source of information I can to update the scores when I am at home. (even the opposition Twitter feeds and blogs).

If you want to subscribe follow the link. http://www.facebook.com/groups/theswintonlionsfamily/

The  Swinton Lions Family is meant to complement the club's activities and is not meant to be a replacement of those activities. I urge people to follow the clubs Twitter feeds and Web Site as well. Yes, there will be some duplication of information, but if it goes out to more people then that is to the club's advantage.

Everyone is welcome.

Hi John Roddy, Lancashire do quite a few Q&As with players and coaches on Twitter, always go down well. Might be worth a thought

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Archived