Challenge Cup Draw 22/03/2016

The Baron Mk11

I remember that one. We had the ball out wide on our right hand side. Kevin Ashcroft cross kicked on the last tackle. Unfortunately he over kicked the ball and it went straight down Stuart Wright's throat out on his own on their right wing.

I thought " Bloody Hell, that's 6 points gone ! ". Wright sped off unchallenged. All of a sudden Coslett appeared from nowhere and nailed him with a classic man and ball tackle.

Was that the same game were we neck and neck midway through the second half. Warren Ayres broke through from the half way line leaving everybody trailing in his wake. When he got about 15 yards from the line he slowed down and looked around for support. If he'd have put his head down and gone he would have made it. As it was he was tackled just short of the line. Widnes got the ball, went down the other end and scored. So near. We lost about 10-5 I think.

I don't know whether they were the same game but I was behind the posts when Warren Ayres 'froze' that day.

As regards the 'Ashcroft cross kick'.....he left and played for Dewsbury, Leigh, Warrington and maybe even Salford before the Coslett era began.

I don't know whether they were the same game but I was behind the posts when Warren Ayres 'froze' that day.

As regards the 'Ashcroft cross kick'.....he left and played for Dewsbury, Leigh, Warrington and maybe even Salford before the Coslett era began.

He played for Hornets twice. I think we signed him the second time from Leigh. He played for Leigh twice as well. The " cross kick " game was during his second spell at Hornets. I don't think he'll mind me saying he was the sort of player who liked to put it about a bit.

He played for Hornets twice. I think we signed him the second time from Leigh. He played for Leigh twice as well. The " cross kick " game was during his second spell at Hornets. I don't think he'll mind me saying he was the sort of player who liked to put it about a bit.

I wondered if that was the case and if so, I stand corrected. He was player coach at Leigh around that time.   

He wouldn't mind....with the size of his head. He had a pub in Hindley Green and most of his battling was with his missus. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived