Refs, Fans and NRL Rookie

Because I've been ill I'm using catch up to follow the NRL Rookie. I've just just watched them do the refs challenge and how interesting was that?

Maybe one of those pre-match entertainments in a marquee doing something like this for fans would go a long way to creating a bit more respect for Refs, their role and what they put themselves through in order to be there.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I thought that too! Fascinating stuff. An Aussie journalist recently spent a day at NRL refs training too. Not sure where to find the article now though

If you find it DiH put the link on here and maybe we can become the first sport in history to move away from blaming the ref for everything. ;)

I'm surprised more people haven't responded to this. Does the RFL have similar training for refs, does anyone know?

Absolutely brilliant DiH

I decided to copy a bit of it because it's so relevant;

"SORRY guys, I’m going to burst your bubble. You’ve got it wrong.

The NRL referees aren’t actually trying to ruin the game. They aren’t blind and they are ‘getting ‘em on side’.

How do I know? Because after sitting on the lounge one night, baffled by some referee calls, I decided to give it a go myself. I mean, how hard can it be?

I know the rules, I can judge 10 metres and it doesn’t take a genius to blow a whistle.

But it turns out there’s a lot more than yelling ‘held’ and pointing to the spot when it comes to officiating a game.

So I joined the referees at ANZ Stadium for a training session which involved decision making under fatigue, brain training and a bit of good old fashioned fitness.

So what did I discover? Well, for starters, these blokes are super fit. And despite Des Hasler’s conspiracy theory, they aren’t Voldemorts. They’re good blokes. Helpful. Funny even."

I think a read of this and if we can find the video would go a long way to dispelling all the myths we tend to rely on when it comes to the man in the middle. And maybe people just like to hold on to stuff like that so much that engaging in this thread could be a be a bridge too far?

Because I've been ill I'm using catch up to follow the NRL Rookie. I've just just watched them do the refs challenge and how interesting was that?

Maybe one of those pre-match entertainments in a marquee doing something like this for fans would go a long way to creating a bit more respect for Refs, their role and what they put themselves through in order to be there.

do you remember in which episode it was? try to get this program but he only way i could was by downloading it... and i did not try... but i would be intrested in seeing the one with th ref challenge :D

do you remember in which episode it was? try to get this program but he only way i could was by downloading it... and i did not try... but i would be intrested in seeing the one with th ref challenge :D

I think it was about 7 or 8 Fabou and very good to hear from you.

The refs challenge was about reminding the competitors about respecting officials and I really think it would help with fans.

Archived