Wild camping

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

Captain Flashheart...

The Navy fly-boys are much nicer. We were based with their training school and they routinely took us up for flying lessons and acrobatics. A great bunch. I remember our Battery Commander getting all annoyed about Navy officers openly fraternising with lowly gunners. 

One of my many memories of BRNC is the cavalry officer who was seconded as a liaison officer.

Divisions on a Saturday morning, Royal Marines band ( when Dartmouth had its own) and every time the whole college came to attention and that half second later the thud as he did the whole army thing ( leg raised 12 inches and put down 14) , as opposed to to the more relaxed navy thing. (Slide together)

As  an (ex)one of the FAA WAFUs you refer  (wet and ... Useless or wonderful and ....Unique - take your pick)  my experience is that it is the army infantry and cavalry regiments still have a mainly entitled officer corp who think they are something!

Maybe, the RN and RAF, being more technical select their officers for ability not school or family?  RN officers do tend to be far less formal (sharing a steel box for months), and more willing to be comrades with lower ranks than some, but I personally witnessed that in many branches of the army too. Army Air Corps and the Paras  being 2 examples I spent time with.

Anyway, all I need is a lantern and I will spend all night telling salty sea dits!

FLY NAVY!

Random fact- while I was at BRNC I got in a degree of bother for partying in the Senior rates mess (while I was in training!) (I had been invited). The college XO was a submariner who covered my indiscretion and prevented my divisional Lt Cmdr (major) even talking to me about it!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/04/2017 at 10:51 AM, Bedford Roughyed said:

D cell mag lite, biolite stove, spare stove, 90 litre pack... my knees just exploded reading it!

Since all the grumbling about the weight in my pack, I've done some experimenting over the last week.  My fully charged PowerMonkey has been recharging my iPhone and iPad since last Monday, with me recharging it on my spare room windowsill using the thing's solar panel each day.  It's still at 47% charge.  I'm leaving the Biolite stove at home as it's not really needed, I'd never put the PowerMonkey thing to that level of testing before.  Admittedly I'm expecting less solar charging time while I'm out but not enough that I'll burn through the charge in 4-5 nights away.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Since all the grumbling about the weight in my pack, I've done some experimenting over the last week.  My fully charged PowerMonkey has been recharging my iPhone and iPad since last Monday, with me recharging it on my spare room windowsill using the thing's solar panel each day.  It's still at 47% charge.  I'm leaving the Biolite stove at home as it's not really needed, I'd never put the PowerMonkey thing to that level of testing before.  Admittedly I'm expecting less solar charging time while I'm out but not enough that I'll burn through the charge in 4-5 nights away.

Now you need a nice LED torch/headlamp.  Massively brighter than the magnate and much lighter.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

Now you need a nice LED torch/headlamp.  Massively brighter than the magnate and much lighter.

I've got one...  a perfectly good head torch that I'll use every night away.  Still taking the Maglite though.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

I've got one...  a perfectly good head torch that I'll use every night away.  Still taking the Maglite though.

There are no monsters that you need to club to death...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

There are no monsters that you need to club to death...

It's my safety blankie :ph34r:

Archived