Swinton town centre redevelopment,possible new venue for a stadium?

Robthegasman

I read that Salford City Council are looking at redeveloping the town centre,and I also understand that as part of the grand plan,Pendlebury rec along with one or two other leisure centres are going to close and a new super duper leisure facility costing about £11m-£12m is supposed to be being proposed on the site of the old St Ambrose Barlow school.Now if that is the case then I would hope that John Roddy and the directors will press the case for a community sports stadium to be incorporated into the plans that of course can provide these new super leisure facilities and provide a new home for Swinton Lions and of course other local sporting clubs to play at.

To me if the council are planning on renewing leisure facilities and basing new ones in Swinton centre,then this MUST include Swinton Lions,along with others and a stadium say with 5000 capacity that is Championship where the leisure facilities can be housed is also a must.

And in my opinion I think that potential venue is a far better option than Agecroft which frankly in my opinion is in the wrong place as the communications are poor.

Agecroft would be far better than nothing I think we would all agree, but it is a ‘cold’ and ‘remote’ place right on the very edge of S&P only 100 yards or so from the town's boundary (River Irwell). Station Road was nice and central, just a short walk from public transport facilities such as buses on Bolton Road and Chorley Road plus Swinton railway station of course. The former Ambrose Barlow School field off Stanwell Road would be absolutely ideal being so close to buses on Chorley Road/Partington Lane and the town centre itself. Salford Council have a long history of helping neighbours Salford RLFC at the expense of the Lions. It is long overdue that the Lions and the town of Swinton and Pendlebury itself received some much needed assistance in the form of a community stadium. It would benefit the whole community, not just our historic rugby league club who celebrated its 150 anniversary last year. Losing Station Road didn't just affect the Lions and their fans, it ripped the heart out of the town itself, and that is a fact, have no doubt whatsoever. Salford Council have been more than happy to base THEIR administration in the heart of OUR town, in OUR town hall for over 40 years and in my view, it's now 'payback time'. Members of Salford Council, please do the right thing for once, give our town, Swinton and Pendlebury, what it really needs as we plough even deeper into the 21st century, a town centre home for our beloved and historic rugby league club. Every councillor who supports this will sleep better at night fortified in the knowledge that you have finally done the right thing.

On 25 April 2017 at 2:07 PM, Blue Monkey said:

Agecroft would be far better than nothing I think we would all agree, but it is a ‘cold’ and ‘remote’ place right on the very edge of S&P only 100 yards or so from the town's boundary (River Irwell). Station Road was nice and central, just a short walk from public transport facilities such as buses on Bolton Road and Chorley Road plus Swinton railway station of course. The former Ambrose Barlow School field off Stanwell Road would be absolutely ideal being so close to buses on Chorley Road/Partington Lane and the town centre itself. Salford Council have a long history of helping neighbours Salford RLFC at the expense of the Lions. It is long overdue that the Lions and the town of Swinton and Pendlebury itself received some much needed assistance in the form of a community stadium. It would benefit the whole community, not just our historic rugby league club who celebrated its 150 anniversary last year. Losing Station Road didn't just affect the Lions and their fans, it ripped the heart out of the town itself, and that is a fact, have no doubt whatsoever. Salford Council have been more than happy to base THEIR administration in the heart of OUR town, in OUR town hall for over 40 years and in my view, it's now 'payback time'. Members of Salford Council, please do the right thing for once, give our town, Swinton and Pendlebury, what it really needs as we plough even deeper into the 21st century, a town centre home for our beloved and historic rugby league club. Every councillor who supports this will sleep better at night fortified in the knowledge that you have finally done the right thing.

The problem I feel with Agecroft is that it is really in the wrong place.There is I think only one bus that goes along there for a start and to me I just think it is just slightly cut off.For me if Agecroft was to happen,a lot more would be needed for it to be a success like for example the revival of the motorway that was supposed to have been built back in the 70s,along with perhaps a good hotel,retail etc but then who would build that when there is a prison nearby housing frankly ####?I fear that Agecroft would be a flop,like the other place.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-25 at 2:07 PM, Blue Monkey said:

We know how you feel,when we lost watersheddings it tore the heart out of Oldham rugby league. Our council have always aired on the side of the football club.It's frustrating because Oldham isn't a footballing town it's a rugby town,look how many internationals come from the town in either code.So yes losing ones spiritual home is devastating for any club,I share your frustrations.

Archived