Talking Pictures TV

It's on Freeview 81.  Anyone from my generation should give it a watch, if they like living in the past (guilty)  Black and white films from the 30's, 40's & 50's, and occasionally the 60's (like It's Trad Dad)  It's mainly the faces I look for.  Like this morning there was a film on with a young Bill Owen (Compo) and Leslie Dwyer (Mr Partridge the Punch & Judy man in Hi-di-Hi.)  Yesterday there was "Helldrivers" a real bonus for face spotters, with Stanley Baker, Patrick McGoohan, Herbert Lom, Sean Connery, William Hartnell, David McCalllum, Alfie Bass and Gordon Jackson, all before they found fame.   Also there's usually an episode of Scotland Yard.  They used to be on at the pictures in the 60's, a "true crime" story, topped and tailed by the scary Edgar Lustgarten who usually ended by saying creeplily of a murderer, that the law had taken its course at (say) Wandsworth at 9am on such and such a day. Well worth a watch.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

It is, apparently, run on a pretty low budget, but they do come up with interesting scheduling. They have often had Laurel & Hardy films on, which is always a pleasure.

They sometimes have guest stars in, to select the content. This Friday, Danny Baker takes over programming for the day.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59f0bb8d6eb21_63b2f24046138476b7ccd87e41d591b3(1).jpg.b1879df7876f375e7453bc893c5bdbce.jpg500full.jpg.3eb0ff446be3735a634760f497c3a34d.jpgCasablanca-jiff.gif.5faf8cfcdf7f3d1010e9f232e5501c50.gif

Good call, Trojan.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

They sometimes have guest stars in, to select the content. This Friday, Danny Baker takes over programming for the day.

Friday! Sorry I'm busy there's a little matter of an RLWC to start following.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

It's on Freeview 81.  Anyone from my generation should give it a watch, if they like living in the past (guilty)  Black and white films from the 30's, 40's & 50's, and occasionally the 60's (like It's Trad Dad)  It's mainly the faces I look for.  Like this morning there was a film on with a young Bill Owen (Compo) and Leslie Dwyer (Mr Partridge the Punch & Judy man in Hi-di-Hi.)  Yesterday there was "Helldrivers" a real bonus for face spotters, with Stanley Baker, Patrick McGoohan, Herbert Lom, Sean Connery, William Hartnell, David McCalllum, Alfie Bass and Gordon Jackson, all before they found fame.   Also there's usually an episode of Scotland Yard.  They used to be on at the pictures in the 60's, a "true crime" story, topped and tailed by the scary Edgar Lustgarten who usually ended by saying creeplily of a murderer, that the law had taken its course at (say) Wandsworth at 9am on such and such a day. Well worth a watch.I '

I 've tried to add this on my TV as I heard so much about it. But I can t add a thing between 63 and 83 on Free view. Any ideas? 

Just now, bazzzz65 said:

I 've tried to add this on my TV as I heard so much about it. But I can t add a thing between 63 and 83 on Free view. Any ideas? 

No But this'll keep you going ......

59f0bd5531deb_giphy(2)RKO.gif.6a6d1b31cbeefe3e24f6f379b3da1c92.gif59f0bd5df19b1_giphy7.gif.4f31677144df28fe6282f419df5cb747.gif

1 minute ago, bazzzz65 said:

Like Freesports, it is broadcast in standard definition, but you can't get it on FreeView unless you have a HD TV/tuner.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Oxford said:

59f0bb8d6eb21_63b2f24046138476b7ccd87e41d591b3(1).jpg.b1879df7876f375e7453bc893c5bdbce.jpg500full.jpg.3eb0ff446be3735a634760f497c3a34d.jpgCasablanca-jiff.gif.5faf8cfcdf7f3d1010e9f232e5501c50.gif

Good call, Trojan.

Friday! Sorry I'm busy there's a little matter of an RLWC to start following.

If you going to be watching the opening RWC match on repeat for the whole 24 hours then, yes, you'll miss it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

If you going to be watching the opening RWC match on repeat for the whole 24 hours then, yes, you'll miss it.

Yes sadly that's true :sorry: v :fan:

10 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

I 've no idea if I have an HD tv/tuner or not. After all I was born in 1951 and have hardly any idea about modern technology!

Do a channel scan, then check if you have BBC1 HD on channel 101. If you can't get that, then you have standard FreeView only.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It is, apparently, run on a pretty low budget, but they do come up with interesting scheduling. They have often had Laurel & Hardy films on, which is always a pleasure.

Yes there was Sons of the Desert on the other day.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

16 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Yes there was Sons of the Desert on the other day.

It was one I hadn't seen in full before, and I very much enjoyed it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If England win then it will be worth watching over and over again. Now where's the video of the 2nd Ashes Test from '92?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Archived