Stronger NZ or stronger Pacific?

eal

On 11/25/2017 at 10:51 AM, jpmc said:

What's the chances of the domestic game in NZ growing on the back of this world cup? 

NZ rugby league is in dire straits. At this point in time, the NRL is the only thing keeping it afloat. The crowd the Kiwis got in their quarter is indicative of the interest in the sport outside of Auckland. It's like the 2 rugby codes are a mirror reflection of each other in Australia and New Zealand. I think this world cup would inspire the next generation of Tongans if anything

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jace said:

NZ rugby league is in dire straits. At this point in time, the NRL is the only thing keeping it afloat. The crowd the Kiwis got in their quarter is indicative of the interest in the sport outside of Auckland. It's like the 2 rugby codes are a mirror reflection of each other in Australia and New Zealand. I think this world cup would inspire the next generation of Tongans if anything

It was actually the Tongans i was thinking about when i asked the question.

Any growth in NZ would be welcome after the WC,would be great if its lead by tongans & samoans etc

On 11/26/2017 at 10:01 PM, kier said:

They're all still going. There are local leagues all over the country so to say "non entity" is a  bit harsh.

The sports scene in NZ is incredibly diverse and it has to be remembered that a country of 4.5 million play A LOT of sports. No sport dominates the country in the way that football dominates in GB. In order to play at a high enough standard almost all sports play outside of NZ in Australian comps - and in every case this "super club" diminishes the local competition. Even RU isn't immune; the Super Rugby franchises have pushed the regional provincial sides firmly to the sidelines.

Gotta disagree with that. If we're talking participation then yes you're right however union is seen as the national sport by many kiwis I've spoken to 

On 26/11/2017 at 1:58 PM, deluded pom? said:

Not sure if it's genuine but don't they also have to make themselves available for France?

French federation now expecting Top 14 clubs to have 14 out of the 23 on team sheets* to have been formed by the club? There are I understand around 550 Pacific Islanders playing professionally world wide - half of them maybe here in France where they they play even at Federal level  (tier 3). Theres talk even that they will conside points deduction if the ruling is not implemented.*

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

14 hours ago, Jace said:

Gotta disagree with that. If we're talking participation then yes you're right however union is seen as the national sport by many kiwis I've spoken to 

I didn't say it wasn't. What I said was that no sport dominates the sporting landscape in NZ as football does in UK.

RU is the national sport. That's without doubt but the local RU comps have been hit by the existence of "international" Super 18 franchises. Just as local NZ comps in Football, RL, Basketball and Netball suffer with the top club(s) in their sport playing in Australian based competitions.

Those codes though can't afford to not have the clubs in Australia...even though they realise the damage that they do inflict on the domestic top tier. 

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

Archived