Mannering retires from international football

5 hours ago, frank said:

NZ captain Simon Mannering has retired from international footy.Would have thought he would have at least played in Denver. Bit of a shock.

It wasn’t long back that he was one of the few Kiwis who put his hands up to play in Denver.

rldfsignature.jpg

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

It wasn’t long back that he was one of the few Kiwis who put his hands up to play in Denver.

On his decision, he said: “I’ve had this on my mind for a while.

“The idea of taking a Test to the United States is really exciting for the game but I think it’s a good time for younger players to be given every opportunity.

“I was honoured to wear the Kiwi jersey every time and it’s been a huge privilege having the chance to play alongside so many outstanding players.

“It was also a special honour to captain my country.”

New Zealand coach Michael Maguire has paid tribute to Mannering for his services to the national team.

He said: “In his years of being a Kiwi, there is no doubt that Simon has made his country proud.

“There is a reason so many budding rugby league players idolise his abilities on the field and the way he holds himself off the field makes him a true Kiwi role model.

“His leadership has developed and mentored a lot of young and up and coming players not only at club level, but at international level too. He has also left his own legacy on the new generation of Kiwi players coming through.

“Sometime down the track, I hope to work alongside Simon as his knowledge and expertise as a Kiwi international will be highly beneficial in and around the squad.”

Ben Matulino and Russell Packer have also announced their retirements from international rugby league.

The last bit surprised me particularly, about Matulino and Packer. I don't really rate Packer but both players are in their late 20s and it's a bit surprising that they would announce their retirement from internationals. Are clubs putting pressure on ahead of the Denver test?

41 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The last bit surprised me particularly, about Matulino and Packer. I don't really rate Packer but both players are in their late 20s and it's a bit surprising that they would announce their retirement from internationals. Are clubs putting pressure on ahead of the Denver test?

I hope not. I would expect players to need treatment on "injuries" rather than being forced into a premature international retirement.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived