Growth in uk sports

I was wondering the other day how the main sports have grown in the last 20 years, do you think there has been any studies on this? Im looking for turnover of sporting clubs and wages for both codes of rugby,cricket and football.

On 8/21/2018 at 2:16 AM, iangidds said:

I was wondering the other day how the main sports have grown in the last 20 years, do you think there has been any studies on this? Im looking for turnover of sporting clubs and wages for both codes of rugby,cricket and football.

In the last 20 years. Well, without any references I will guarantee turnover for premier league football clubs have dramatically increased. As have the pro RU clubs. With the introduction of 20/20 in the last 20 years, yeah, I will guarantee turnover for the county clubs has increased as well.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

In the last 20 years. Well, without any references I will guarantee turnover for premier league football clubs have dramatically increased. As have the pro RU clubs. With the introduction of 20/20 in the last 20 years, yeah, I will guarantee turnover for the county clubs has increased as well.

It got me thinking when I heard about Ben Stokes central  contract with England cricket of 750,000 pounds and you add on his county pay and IPL deals and throw in sponsorship he will be earning 2-3 million pounds a year.

if you compare that to his father who played semi pro rugby you can see why elite sportsmen choose other sports , 20 years ago we had big earners and it feels like we are left in the sporting wilderness when it comes to attracting and retaining top quality athletes and stars that provide the platform for the next generation.

3 minutes ago, iangidds said:

It got me thinking when I heard about Ben Stokes central  contract with England cricket of 750,000 pounds and you add on his county pay and IPL deals and throw in sponsorship he will be earning 2-3 million pounds a year.

if you compare that to his father who played semi pro rugby you can see why elite sportsmen choose other sports , 20 years ago we had big earners and it feels like we are left in the sporting wilderness when it comes to attracting and retaining top quality athletes and stars that provide the platform for the next generation.

I'm more concerned by the lack of numbers playing our sport these days, greed and poor management at the top has to take part of the blame.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

13 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'm more concerned by the lack of numbers playing our sport these days, greed and poor management at the top has to take part of the blame.

Yes but it’s all linked , lack of stars equals lack of interest; the game has pretty much been left behind through our own mismanagement; I hope we can start to gain ground again. We need new vibrant ideas and people on board and teams like Toronto, Toulouse and Red Star Belgrade will really help 

42 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Greed and entitlement among the top brass and players in soccer hasn't stopped that still being popular.

Lack of numbers is an issue in RL and other sports too - most team sports are seeing reductions in playing numbers, being replaced by solo/group activities like running and cycling (or couch activities on the XBox). I'll check with our mutual friend at Basketball England to see what their playing numbers are like.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Greed and entitlement among the top brass and players in soccer hasn't stopped that still being popular.

Lack of numbers is an issue in RL and other sports too - most team sports are seeing reductions in playing numbers, being replaced by solo/group activities like running and cycling (or couch activities on the XBox). I'll check with our mutual friend at Basketball England to see what their playing numbers are like.

Football generates enough money to be greedy and is played in the winter months with less distractions, we sadly don't so we can't adopt the same systems or tactics as they do, we need to realise (IMO)we have to build and finance our sport from the bottom to improve the numbers playing and the timing of when to take the elite kids away from their junior clubs needs to be sorted because again IMO by directing the better kids away to early is killing off junior teams, coaches and administrators, I'd also soften the criteria to start a team up from the bottom, as the team climbs the leagues then they would need to gain qualifications to gain promotions.

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

Yes but it’s all linked , lack of stars equals lack of interest; the game has pretty much been left behind through our own mismanagement; I hope we can start to gain ground again. We need new vibrant ideas and people on board and teams like Toronto, Toulouse and Red Star Belgrade will really help 

My only fear about expansion is where all the players will come from, at the moment our pond is very shallow and as these new teams are going to be slotting either at the top or very near it they will be taking the best available with what they have to spend, this will then cause the clubs who loss players to look down at the next level, IMO this will have a knock on like we see in the junior game when the service areas direct players to club `A` or `B`, at the bottom teams will lose players and fold, we then lose coaches and admin - The only way to stop this is by the RFL going back into schools like they used to do.

It would be great to see a series of graphs showing turnover, tv revenue, sponsorship deals and pay increases for players; it may well provide horrible viewing for our sport

We need to stop trying to keep up with the Jones, we seem scared of losing the odd star or two, I'd sooner see a few hundred or even thousands more kids playing, once the conveyor is working we'll produce more stars and players down to the bottom .

It would be great to see a series of graphs showing turnover, tv revenue, sponsorship deals and pay increases for players; it may well provide horrible viewing for our sport

To paraphrase Homer Simpson. Sky is the cause of and solution to a lot of RL's problems.

Since I stopped Sky Sports due to the exorbitant cost Rl would have dropped almost entirely off my radar if I didn't have an interest in it. I actually think the BBC do a decent job considering the limited access they get but it's little and far between.

However, without Sky I'm not sure we would sustain a professional sport.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived