Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shadrak

A.G.M.

Recommended Posts

Just been reading info regarding the up and coming A.G.M. Can someone enlighten me as to why the membership is now closed. surely this is premature, the candidates have not yet been announced, and we could  be losing revenue from potential new members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shadrak said:

Just been reading info regarding the up and coming A.G.M. Can someone enlighten me as to why the membership is now closed. surely this is premature, the candidates have not yet been announced, and we could  be losing revenue from potential new members.

My thoughts exactly - lets get everyone involved so that an election is meaningful and the jobs worth's are challenged. I've scoured the rules and there is no mention of a deadline.

At the last meeting (not sure of the title) memberships were taken on the night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shadrak said:

Just been reading info regarding the up and coming A.G.M. Can someone enlighten me as to why the membership is now closed. surely this is premature, the candidates have not yet been announced, and we could  be losing revenue from potential new members.

 

5 hours ago, Hornets Nest said:

My thoughts exactly - lets get everyone involved so that an election is meaningful and the jobs worth's are challenged. I've scoured the rules and there is no mention of a deadline.

At the last meeting (not sure of the title) memberships were taken on the night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Membership is still open if any of you want to join. The statement that membership had closed was an error.


QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2019 at 17:06, The Baron Mk11 said:

 

Membership is still open if any of you want to join. The statement that membership had closed was an error.

Thank you for that, Hornets need more members not less, however small, it puts revenue into the club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose the bigger debate is if the membership system actually worked?  The philanthropic nature of Paul seems to have papered over many cracks, certainly one hundred and seventy thousand pounds worth. 

The old style committee ran rugby league clubs of the fifties and early sixties all ran into trouble with Huddersfield a good example.  The member led model had to let the share of the stadium go, which in effect was the inherited wealth of the club.

I applaud the fans who have offered five hundred pounds etc into a squad builder but these days to be effective a club either needs to be self sufficient/well run and asset holding such as Batley or have a fighting fit board of reasonably affluent Directors which Castleford seem to have nailed over many years.  It will be interesting if the relationship with Mayfield becomes stronger as that could be very beneficial to Hornets in a way other pro clubs have missed out with the well run clubs in their backyard especially prevalent to Oldham.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had phone call AGM rules have changed half way through - people have voted now 9 Board Members not 6. How is this allowed I voted last week - who knows if this is legal original letter said 6 not 9. I have not had a new letter. What is going on - once proud club has been ruined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see what difference it makes. The 9 candidates who get the most votes will be elected now instead of the 6 that get the most votes. I haven't voted yet but I still only get 6 votes just like you did. I always thought 6 directors was barely enough. You always get somebody on holiday in summer and somebody who can't make it for whatever reason.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It matters because everything seems so totally unprofessional.   The word Director is farcical in itself.  The President it emerged has put 170K in to keep the wheels turning, has any other Director in the last five years helped the club financially?  The membership subscription does not count.  You need people with money and influence to keep a club on an even keel.  Organising quiz nights and selling raffle tickets are volunteer roles and really necessary and important.  Director/Chairperson roles are only about ego if you are putting your money where your mouth is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't see what difference it makes. The 9 candidates who get the most votes will be elected now instead of the 6 that get the most votes. I haven't voted yet but I still only get 6 votes just like you did. I always thought 6 directors was barely enough. You always get somebody on holiday in summer and somebody who can't make it for whatever reason.

You really can't see that changing the rules of an AGM after the paperwork has been signed off by the organisation and sent out to the members is not totally unconstitutional at worst and at best so unprofessional it is beyond belief. Why should members have any faith whatsoever in the process. 

Only three board members can now be co-opted on instead of six - no difference there then? The six spots could have actually been taken by people who have the ability to save the club. 

Cash Cash Cash this is the only component that will save the club.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

It matters because everything seems so totally unprofessional.   The word Director is farcical in itself.  The President it emerged has put 170K in to keep the wheels turning, has any other Director in the last five years helped the club financially?  The membership subscription does not count.  You need people with money and influence to keep a club on an even keel.  Organising quiz nights and selling raffle tickets are volunteer roles and really necessary and important.  Director/Chairperson roles are only about ego if you are putting your money where your mouth is.

I'd prefer the Director/ Chairperson roles to be nothing to do with ego to be honest. It should be all about Hornets not personalities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hornets Nest said:

You really can't see that changing the rules of an AGM after the paperwork has been signed off by the organisation and sent out to the members is not totally unconstitutional at worst and at best so unprofessional it is beyond belief. Why should members have any faith whatsoever in the process. 

Only three board members can now be co-opted on instead of six - no difference there then? The six spots could have actually been taken by people who have the ability to save the club. 

Cash Cash Cash this is the only component that will save the club.

 

In an ideal world co opted board members should only be appointed as a last resort as they won't have been elected by the members. 

As I understand the rules there is only provision for two co opted members to be appointed to the board.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In an ideal world co opted board members should only be appointed as a last resort as they won't have been elected by the members. 

As I understand the rules there is only provision for two co opted members to be appointed to the board.

It seems they ( the present board), make their own rules up as they go along. The forthcoming AGM, I have no doubt will be a farce. I understand membership is now closed, which prevents revenue coming into the club. The only hope Hornets have of survival is for Paul Ormerod to come back on board along with a consortium of local or regional businessmen, with an honest interest in the club, the present set up of internal politics is unacceptable and is sending the club on a downward spiral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Athleticgrounds said:

It seems they ( the present board), make their own rules up as they go along. The forthcoming AGM, I have no doubt will be a farce. I understand membership is now closed, which prevents revenue coming into the club. The only hope Hornets have of survival is for Paul Ormerod to come back on board along with a consortium of local or regional businessmen, with an honest interest in the club, the present set up of internal politics is unacceptable and is sending the club on a downward spiral.

What was preventing these local business men -  a) Standing for the board ?  b) Putting money into the club ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What was preventing these local business men -  a) Standing for the board ?  b) Putting money into the club ?

The present setup to be quite honest. I admire the efforts but basically they are all volunteers. Running a professional club requires business and financial knowledge to go along with a knowledge of rugby league administration and players, I am not sure we have that at the moment with the exception of Martin Hall, making the rules up as you go along is hardly professional, nor is a divided board of directors. No matter which members you are supporting at the forthcoming AGM, disrespectful comments regarding the current Chairman and our previous benefactor at a previous meeting, has left a sour taste with many supporters. As I have previously stated, I am afraid only the return of Mr Ormerod will entice any potential investers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athleticgrounds said:

The present setup to be quite honest. I admire the efforts but basically they are all volunteers. Running a professional club requires business and financial knowledge to go along with a knowledge of rugby league administration and players, I am not sure we have that at the moment with the exception of Martin Hall, making the rules up as you go along is hardly professional, nor is a divided board of directors. No matter which members you are supporting at the forthcoming AGM, disrespectful comments regarding the current Chairman and our previous benefactor at a previous meeting, has left a sour taste with many supporters. As I have previously stated, I am afraid only the return of Mr Ormerod will entice any potential investers.

I would have thought Paul Ormerod has done more than his bit to keep the Hornets flag flying. It looks to me like we'll have to soldier on with the  people we've got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest Tyrone this is the issue.  When the members board was put together it was for the right reasons and saved the club.  Further down the line people have realised the financial input of David Vinning who frankly was sadly sidelined and not treated too kindly.  The part I find difficult is it would seem the club was being run prudently and at a break even.  It is only recently that the silent significant stabilising investment of Paul Ormerod has been in the wider domain.

If the same people come forward for the board again what are they actually bringing to the table?   If they are in the hat just for a seat on the team coach and a comfortable seat at away games that is worth more than your membership fee for sure.

Previous incumbents of the member led board should disclose what inward investment they have made since the inception of this business model.  Why would  local people with money to invest and influence to attract sponsors sit opposite individuals who have little or nothing to offer except the passion of a loyal supporter.  Ormerod has a philanthropic nature but most business people do not.  I fear for the future of Hornets, Spotland was surrendered tamely and the tenure of Hornets will not last the length of the lease unless the business model changes.  Tyrone this is not a retaliation on your comments I just feel normal casual fans who still put money across the turnstiles are being turned off the club because they choose not to be members, it does feel like Animal Farm and has done for some years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...