Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

28 Jun: SL: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

28 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • St Helens

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/06/19 at 18:45

9 hours ago, Ullman said:

Without getting into the many talking points, that was a great game to watch from a neutral perspective.

Yes, whilst I was disappointed with our tactics, and have been for 18 months, I cant fault the effort and the players putti g their bodies on the lines. This was a full blooded derby in front of a large noisy crowd, well done all involved!

• Like 4

In my view, the difference was down to Saints speed of thought, action and response. Warrington seemed at times to be wooden in comparison, somewhat pedestrian. 

• Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

11 hours ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Not sure about that. Put it this way, if he had got injured long term tonight we would probably find ourselves in a dogfight just to make the play offs.

He's played twice against Saints and created nothing. It wasn't even like his pack got dominated last night.

12 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Saints living a charmed life this year!

Wire were dominant and, even without the rub, should have won at a canter.

Tense entertainment. Wire should have backed themselves more and would have won. They didn't.

Really !!

Wire rarely bothered the Saints try line all night. It was 3 Try's to 1 and even without the dubious Percival try Saints created chance after chance, Grace just with a toe on the touchline and 3 dropped balls with the line open.

Wire dominated field position for long periods, particularly in the 1st half but didn't have the skills to convert that into try scoring chances.

When they needed him most, yet again Austin went missing in the big game where as when Saints needed them, several of their big game players (Walmsley, Thompson, Makinson & Lomax) stepped up. Lomax got the MOM I think because of a few crucial plays, but for me Makinson with the MOM. His work all night on clearing our lines was superb and made valuable metres when the team needed them most.

Overall, entertaining game with both teams giving 100%, Wire must be gutted to throw so much at it and come away with nothing again.

• Like 2

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

12 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

A totally different incident in the game (which you might need to watch in slow motion) .. and maybe it's a bit pedantic, but ....

Prior to Saints' second try, a high kick was put up and the Warrington full-back went to catch it, with the Saints' players running towards him. The full-back got his hands to the ball, which then slightly jumped up out of his hands and he was then tackled while not actually in possession (OK, the ball was only an inch or two up from his hands and the Saints' player was committed to the tackle). The ball then actually hit the Saints' player's head and went forward, whereupon another Saints' player took it and scored.

Yes, the Saints' player didn't deliberately head the ball forward but neither do players deliberately knock-on, yet a scrum is still given.

The referee gave the try without consulting the video ref. However, could there have been a case in favour of Warrington for the full-back being tackled without the ball and also for the Saints' player heading the ball forward ?

Read the rules, its not a knock on off the head, its only an offence if you deliberately head the ball forward.

As for the knock on, Mamo had the ball in his hands and his foot had made contact back onto the ground, he then lost it simultaneously as he was hammered by Lomax.

Even if had gone to the VR there was absolutely nothing they could have ruled on to deny the try. It was purely a mistake by Mamo from a great tackle by Lomax  

16 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Really !!

Wire rarely bothered the Saints try line all night. It was 3 Try's to 1 and even without the dubious Percival try Saints created chance after chance, Grace just with a toe on the touchline and 3 dropped balls with the line open.

Wire dominated field position for long periods, particularly in the 1st half but didn't have the skills to convert that into try scoring chances.

When they needed him most, yet again Austin went missing in the big game where as when Saints needed them, several of their big game players (Walmsley, Thompson, Makinson & Lomax) stepped up. Lomax got the MOM I think because of a few crucial plays, but for me Makinson with the MOM. His work all night on clearing our lines was superb and made valuable metres when the team needed them most.

Overall, entertaining game with both teams giving 100%, Wire must be gutted to throw so much at it and come away with nothing again.

Those semi finals really smart don't they 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Those semi finals really smart don't they 

What's last season got to do with it. Saints won the hubcap and Wire won nothing

This year you've played Saints twice and lost twice with your 'star player' going missing on both occasions.

I've seen a few Saints and Wire fans giving it to each other this week.

Understandable in a high stakes derby I know, but given each side's recent records when it counts, it's probably better to keep their powder dry...

• Like 1

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: That was the decade that was - A lookback at the 2010's in Super League - https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/12/that-was-decade-that-was-lookback-at.html

51 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Really !!

I know you're just poking the Wire fans really, but they did dominate for large parts as you say. 

They made poor choices kicking for two when conditions were perfect for expansive rugby. 

Saints benefited from the yellow card too, as well as few dubious decisions. It doesn't take much to swing a game against the play.

Anyway, I dont know what all the fuss is about, everyone knows the Rhinos will win it from 5th again!

Seriously though, best two teams in the league this year by a mile.

Having had a night to sleep on things and re-live the nightmare inducing scenarios over and over, I awoke early this morning bathed in the cold sweat brought about by not only the French sun but the memories of last nights game. However, the hot light of day has helped to bring focus on the causes of my melancholy. 

The better team won, without a doubt, but they only became the better team with 15 mins remaining. Wire switched off, Saints switched on. Warringtons pack worked hard and made good meteres after contact, however, they were denied by good defense from making quick play the ball and, importantly, prevented from off-loading ( Coopers stock-in-trade). Fage and Lomax were creative and put doubt in the minds of the Wire defensive line. Makinson was always threatening when bringing the ball out. Wire never offered creativity or options in attack (Ratchfords influence and link up play with BA and DC being missed?) And played a one dimensional game which was easy to read and nullify. Silly and naive penalties aren't going to help any team and, for the sake of our game, the standard and pace of officiating has got to change in order to keep up with the standard and pace of the game. The RFL can not concentrate on the former without consideration of the latter

Still, a great game, great atmosphere and not the end of the world. Although I am looking forward to Ratchfords return, Burrells debut and Widdops arrival. 

Allez les loups

• Like 4

21 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Saints living a charmed life this year!

Wire were dominant and, even without the rub, should have won at a canter.

Tense entertainment. Wire should have backed themselves more and would have won. They didn't.

Wire COULD have won if they backed themselves but they didn't really look like scoring in the red zone honestly, IF they had 'backed themselves' they could have ended with no points on the board in the same vein as they could have scored a try. You cannot predict that they would have won, you can't predict they would have scored (tries) especially since they never looked like scoring in that first half.

Late to the party on this as couldn't watch the game live but have just enjoyed watching it now.  Needless to say I enjoyed it because we won!  It was a bit of a nail biter for a Saints fan as although we played a decent game throughout, we were just a bit off in the first half and had Warrington not opted for penalties that could have been too much of an uphill struggle.  Having said that, our defence seemed pretty sound so maybe they were right to take the pens when the opportunities arose.

Shame about the forward pass for our first try as I hate it when we get lucky like that.  I prefer to win by legal skill rather than fluke but obviously them's the breaks and I'll take them regardless!

I'm glad we won but I'll be more impressed if we beat Wire in a semi or a final given what happened last year so I'm not busting out the bubbly just yet. 🙂 

• Like 2