Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

Sometimes an answer leads to a question

My local Hospital's phlebotomy department has 14 cubicles which are collecting the punters blood samples all day long. Add in numerous clinics and pharmacies in the local area and there are a lot of samples being processed every day.

I often wondered how many technicians there are working in the lab. I asked that very question to a nurse and was told about 20. I was really surprised that it was so low. The nurse informed me that the blood samples are read by machines and not by peered at by a human looking through a microscope. The computer fires off the results to the asking GP.

That's one question answered.... BUT it got me thinking.

If that is the case why does a doctor tick specific boxes on the proforma to get specific answers when the machine could read all the boxes and thus give a full picture of what is going on in one hit?

Any other examples of perhaps rhetorical posers you have wondered about?

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

On 07/12/2019 at 10:46, Bearman said:

My local Hospital's phlebotomy department has 14 cubicles which are collecting the punters blood samples all day long. Add in numerous clinics and pharmacies in the local area and there are a lot of samples being processed every day.

I often wondered how many technicians there are working in the lab. I asked that very question to a nurse and was told about 20. I was really surprised that it was so low. The nurse informed me that the blood samples are read by machines and not by peered at by a human looking through a microscope. The computer fires off the results to the asking GP.

That's one question answered.... BUT it got me thinking.

If that is the case why does a doctor tick specific boxes on the proforma to get specific answers when the machine could read all the boxes and thus give a full picture of what is going on in one hit?

Any other examples of perhaps rhetorical posers you have wondered about?

They may use different machines for different tests, the machines are not then slowing down the process by being used for things that they are not wanted for.

It could be that one machine is used for all the tests, but if it has to do all the tests it slows down the process, programming the machine to do just the tests required would speed up the process.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

and another question is? Where does all that blood go to once its been tested in the path lab?  At University Hospital of Clermont-Ferrand (CHU), it used to be mixed with something then poured down the drain and hence to the city water treatment plant where hopefully it had become harmless. I guess  safe disposal is covered in a defined process that someone on here might know more about.

Four legs good - two legs bad