Sign in to follow this  
Hughsehhh

Rochdale Challenge Cup

Embarrassing to see a 'Yes cymru' flag amongst the away support. Great way to alienate fans and potential fans by politicizing it 

Good away support otherwise 

Edited by Hughsehhh

I know some Welsh having lived in Swansea for 10 years but that was over 30 years ago. What does 'Yes Cymru' mean and why does it embarrass you please.

I’d honestly be amazed if anyone saw the flag and thought “I was going to watch Rugby League there but now I’m too disgusted to share space with someone demonstrably into Welsh independence”. Firstly, you aren’t talking about an extremist group. Secondly, it’s a stretch to assume that if a fan has a flag that it represents the whole club and by going you are then tied to that opinion. Thirdly, a discussion about independence is going overground; if you don’t like hearing about it then you’d better buckle up. Lastly, it will be more alienating to tell fans what they can and cannot do. People who say “keep politics away from sport” tend to say so when it’s politics they don’t agree with. 

On 08/02/2020 at 19:41, DaveButt said:

I know some Welsh having lived in Swansea for 10 years but that was over 30 years ago. What does 'Yes Cymru' mean and why does it embarrass you please.

Yes Cymru is a group for Welsh independence, not allied to a particular party. And no I’m not a member.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 18:09, Junior Shabadoo said:

I’d honestly be amazed if anyone saw the flag and thought “I was going to watch Rugby League there but now I’m too disgusted to share space with someone demonstrably into Welsh independence”. Firstly, you aren’t talking about an extremist group. Secondly, it’s a stretch to assume that if a fan has a flag that it represents the whole club and by going you are then tied to that opinion. Thirdly, a discussion about independence is going overground; if you don’t like hearing about it then you’d better buckle up. Lastly, it will be more alienating to tell fans what they can and cannot do. People who say “keep politics away from sport” tend to say so when it’s politics they don’t agree with. 

Mate Welsh independence will never happen, thankfully. Most us of aren't closet racists with a perverse hatred or at best mild dislike of anything english. 

2 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

Mate Welsh independence will never happen, thankfully. Most us of aren't closet racists with a perverse hatred or at best mild dislike of anything english. 

So it’s not about politics mixing with sport, it’s about you seeing something you personally disagree with. I’m afraid that’s tough luck.