Sign in to follow this  
Bleep1673

80's Lions

jeez there were some great Players, many of whom have been forgotten, I grew up watching the Lions in the late 70's, early to mid 80's, and they had the best players I've ever seen, the Premiership 2 Final in 1987 was the best game of Rugby LEAGUE, outside of an International, that I have ever saw, that day   changed my life. The only other day that was exceptional, was when we beat Salford at The Willows in the JP 1/4 final 0-6, I lived 300m from Weaste Lane, and ran all the way home, cheering my head off, Great matches.

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/swinton-lions-greatest-team/swinton-lions-greatest-team-the-80s/

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Although an Oldham fan I also used to go and watch matches elsewhere and remember being at Station Road in October 1985 when Swinton played Widnes in Division 1. At the end of that season Swinton were relegated, having won just 8 matches out of 30, while Widnes finished in 5th position having only lost 8 of their games.

However that afternoon Swinton defeated Widnes 17-6 with both teams scoring one try apiece (Mark Viller for Swinton) while Paul Topping kicked 5 goals for the Lions. However, the outstanding performance that day came from Danny Wilson, who not only outplayed the star-studded Widnes side but added three drop-goals.

It's funny how certain seemingly non-important matches stick in your mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you dont appreciate things until they've gone , the team SWINTON had in the mid eighties was a really good team and with a little more investment ,who knows what they might have archived 

On youtube there is the full game of Hull vs Swinton on the 21st January 1988 - the Swintom team with the likes of Tommy Frodsham, Paul Topping, Derek Bate, Gary Ainsworth, Scott Ransom, et al stunned the Hull crowd with a tremendous win.

I do think we were lucky to see so many young talented players at Swinton in the 80's - I agree with Lion heart's comments wholeheartedly.