Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

One for the stattos on here....

There's a facebook watch party on right now, showing the 1981 RL Cup Final between Widnes and Hull KR.

The photo of Widnes parading the cup (sorry for the spoiler!) made me wonder, along with Brian Lockwood, how many other cup winning players have returned to Wembley, or other venues, and won the RL Challenge Cup the following year playing for a different team.

There must be a few, I know you lot won't let me down eeking them out! 

"Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

18 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

There's a facebook watch party on right now, showing the 1981 RL Cup Final between Widnes and Hull KR.

The photo of Widnes parading the cup (sorry for the spoiler!) made me wonder, along with Brian Lockwood, how many other cup winning players have returned to Wembley, or other venues, and won the RL Challenge Cup the following year playing for a different team.

There must be a few, I know you lot won't let me down eeking them out! 

Lee Gilmour is one. 

19 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Lee Gilmour is one. 

Good shout, although playing for so many different clubs he had a fair chance.

but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

Frank Collier  Wigan 1963    Widnes 1964 (Lance Todd Trophy winner)

Don Vines  Wakefield 1960    St.Helens 1961  (He then went back to Wakefield and won in 1963)

There is a book "Wembley Magic" which lists every player to ever play at Wembley along with the years and club(s) they played for. The book was published in 1983 and so covers every final up to and including the 1982 replay ... therefore there might be some additional players since then to add to those I have listed.

• Like 1

Gary Connolly won it in 2002 with Wigan but lost in 2003 with Leeds, scoring in both games. As an aside, I don’t imagine many have scored in consecutive finals for separate clubs. 

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

There was a party in our house when it was first shown.

• Haha 2

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Gary Connolly won it in 2002 with Wigan but lost in 2003 with Leeds, scoring in both games. As an aside, I don’t imagine many have scored in consecutive finals for separate clubs. 

As stated in my previous post, the book I have covers every Wembley final up to 1982 and no, until then no player had scored for two different clubs in consecutive finals.

Until then only one player had actually scored for three different clubs - a certain Alexander J Murphy.

St.Helens - 1 try 1961  &  1 drop 1966      Leigh -  2 drops 1971      Warrington -  2 drops 1974

All four matches were won and he was also the only player to have captained three different clubs to victory

The others to have scored for different clubs (not consecutively) are ....

Frank Carlton  St.Helens - 1 try 1956       Wigan - 1 try 1963

Eddie Cunningham   St.Helens - 1 try 1976      Widnes - 1 try 1982

David Eckersley  Leigh - 1 try 1971      Widnes - 1 drop  1979    (Won both games)

Cyril Kellett  HKR - 1 goal 1964       Featherstone - 8 goals 1973

Gus Risman  Salford  - 1 goal, 1 drop 1938  &  1 try 1939      Workington - 2 goals 1952

Eddie Tees  Barrow - 1 goal 1967     Bradford - 4 goals 1973

Others may have done so since 1982.

11 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

As stated in my previous post, the book I have covers every Wembley final up to 1982 and no, until then no player had scored for two different clubs in consecutive finals.

Until then only one player had actually scored for three different clubs - a certain Alexander J Murphy.

St.Helens - 1 try 1961  &  1 drop 1966      Leigh -  2 drops 1971      Warrington -  2 drops 1974

All four matches were won and he was also the only player to have captained three different clubs to victory

The others to have scored for different clubs (not consecutively) are ....

Frank Carlton  St.Helens - 1 try 1956       Wigan - 1 try 1963

Eddie Cunningham   St.Helens - 1 try 1976      Widnes - 1 try 1982

David Eckersley  Leigh - 1 try 1971      Widnes - 1 drop  1979    (Won both games)

Cyril Kellett  HKR - 1 goal 1964       Featherstone - 8 goals 1973

Gus Risman  Salford  - 1 goal, 1 drop 1938  &  1 try 1939      Workington - 2 goals 1952

Eddie Tees  Barrow - 1 goal 1967     Bradford - 4 goals 1973

Others may have done so since 1982.

Eddie Tees was on the losing side both times against Featherstone. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Eddie Tees was on the losing side both times against Featherstone. 

Yes - and he is the only player from my earlier list who scored for two different teams but never won. All the others won at least one of the finals in which they scored.  Gus Risman did score and win with two different clubs - Salford (1938) and Workington (1952) - but he also lost with Salford in 1939.

• Like 1

Again, from the first Wembly final in 1929 up to 1982, the following players had played for 3 different clubs ...

Dai Davies    (1933 Warrington,  1935 Huddersfield,  1937 Keighley)

Alex Murphy  (St.Helens 1961 & 1966,  Leigh 1971,  Warrington1974)

Bill Ramsey  (Hunslet 1965,   Leeds 1968, 1971, 1972,    Widnes 1977)

Brian Lockwood  (Castleford 1969 & 1970,    Hull KR 1980,   Widnes 1981 & 1982)

Alex Murphy and Brian Lockwood are the only players to have won for all their three different clubs. Both won in four finals and although Lockwood drew in 1982, he lost in the replay.

15 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Again, from the first Wembly final in 1929 up to 1982, the following players had played for 3 different clubs ...

Dai Davies    (1933 Warrington,  1935 Huddersfield,  1937 Keighley)

Alex Murphy  (St.Helens 1961 & 1966,  Leigh 1971,  Warrington1974)

Bill Ramsey  (Hunslet 1965,   Leeds 1968, 1971, 1972,    Widnes 1977)

Brian Lockwood  (Castleford 1969 & 1970,    Hull KR 1980,   Widnes 1981 & 1982)

Alex Murphy and Brian Lockwood are the only players to have won for all their three different clubs. Both won in four finals and although Lockwood drew in 1982, he lost in the replay.

Lee Gilmour - Wigan, Bradford and Saints. 
Shaun Lunt - Huddersfield, Hull KR, Leeds. 
Kevin Iro - Wigan, Leeds, Saints. 
Gary Connolly - Saints, Wigan, Leeds. 
Bobbie Goulding - Wigan, Widnes, Saints. 
Kevin Brown - Wigan, Huddersfield, Warrington. 

• Like 1

We seem to have drifted off from the main point of the thread but never mind.

All still interesting.

8 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

We seem to have drifted off from the main point of the thread but never mind.

All still interesting.

Agree.

You're original question had me stumped though. Nearest I could get was Clive Sullivan winning it with Hull KR in '80 and with Hull in '82.

23 minutes ago, Ullman said:

You're original question had me stumped though. Nearest I could get was Clive Sullivan winning it with Hull KR in '80 and with Hull in '82.

Many have won the cup with two different teams in a three year period but it seems that only ones to have done so consecutively are ...

Frank Collier    Wigan 1963    Widnes 1964

Don Vines    Wakefield 1960    St.Helens 1961

Brian Lockwood     Hull KR 1980       Widnes 1981

Lee Gilmour      Bradford 2003      St.Helens 2004

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Many have won the cup with two different teams in a three year period but it seems that only ones to have done so consecutively are ...

Frank Collier    Wigan 1963    Widnes 1964

Don Vines    Wakefield 1960    St.Helens 1961

Brian Lockwood     Hull KR 1980       Widnes 1981

Lee Gilmour      Bradford 2003      St.Helens 2004

No wonder I couldn't think of any. Same as OF, I already knew about Brian Lockwood but that was it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Lee Gilmour - Wigan, Bradford and Saints. 
Shaun Lunt - Huddersfield, Hull KR, Leeds. 
Kevin Iro - Wigan, Leeds, Saints. 
Gary Connolly - Saints, Wigan, Leeds. 
Bobbie Goulding - Wigan, Widnes, Saints. 
Kevin Brown - Wigan, Huddersfield, Warrington. 

Leon Pryce Bradford,Saints, Hull?

This is the book I have, which covers every final from the first at Wembley in 1929 up to the 1982 replay.

wm.jpg.a570421c0e024ece518257193af83fbc.jpg

Written by Graham Morris and John Huxley

Published by Evans Brothers Ltd, Montague House, Russell Square, London, WC1B 5BX

Published in 1983

ISBN number :  0-237-45696-6

Perhaps someone could produce an updated version !!!!!!!!!!!!!!