Rugby League Record Keepers' Club details

Welcome to our forum, and thanks to TotalRL.com for agreeing to host this on our behalf.

Feel free to use this space to discuss and debate all things relating to RL Records, as this is the official forum of the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club ("RKC").

The RKC is a collection of RL Historians, statisticians and enthusiasts, who are working to create and share a digital record of the game.  We are aiming to document the teams and scorers for all games played under the Northern Rugby Football Union & Rugby Football League - a task that covers nearly 70,000 games, featuring over 25,000 players, who between them have scored over 2 million points.

You can visit our website here: http://www.rugbyleaguerecords.com 

Membership is open to anyone who wishes to join, upon payment of a £5 annual membership.  As well as being able to contribute to our work, members will receive access to our archive, featuring images of the original RKC teams and scorers sheets, covering all games from 1895-1993, and other RKC publications; in due course members will also get access to our digital records as we work to secure the accuracy of these before we make them available to the public.

To join, or for more details of our aims and approach send me a PM, or e-mail at neil.ormston@gmail.com

Yours in RL

Neil, and the RKC

• Like 3

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

I would like to join the new RKC. I have all tables (some corrected from RLRKC booklets, just a few), cup finals etc, these are for top 3 tiers of RL, also all final tables, play-off scores & cup finals of NCL. Also regional league tables & play-offs, but a number of details missing here. Would any of this be of help? We do not want a number of people doing the same research do we. Are you going to cover county leagues also? I mean Yorkshire, north west, Cumberland, pennine etc.

3 hours ago, kev p said:

I would like to join the new RKC. I have all tables (some corrected from RLRKC booklets, just a few), cup finals etc, these are for top 3 tiers of RL, also all final tables, play-off scores & cup finals of NCL. Also regional league tables & play-offs, but a number of details missing here. Would any of this be of help? We do not want a number of people doing the same research do we. Are you going to cover county leagues also? I mean Yorkshire, north west, Cumberland, pennine etc.

Got your mail Kev.  Will reply later.

I've done a bit of work on tables myself, but this could be useful.  At the moment we're focusing on 'first-class' games, so if you mean the amateur leagues no, not yet (but obviously the old County Leagues that ran concurrent to the Northern RFL are in scope).

Edited by Neil_Ormston

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

ok, I have all corrected tables & "all time" tables for tier 1.2.3 & 4, but I think the tier 4 for about 6 years in early 2000s were not regarded as "first class" as no P & R between them & bonus points also. getting line ups for 70,000 games is a mammoth task, but semi achievable with groups working on different teams. some clubs have for sure full records, but defunct clubs will be harder to say the least. but a challenge. I did help on a cricket project (minor counties), although difficult most problems were overcome. some players initials not confirmed so uncertain of all players. let me know if I can help. if we are going to do First Class only at the moment this will give us boundaries to work within. also which comps outside league games, eg county cups etc

2 hours ago, kev p said:

ok, I have all corrected tables & "all time" tables for tier 1.2.3 & 4, but I think the tier 4 for about 6 years in early 2000s were not regarded as "first class" as no P & R between them & bonus points also. getting line ups for 70,000 games is a mammoth task, but semi achievable with groups working on different teams. some clubs have for sure full records, but defunct clubs will be harder to say the least. but a challenge. I did help on a cricket project (minor counties), although difficult most problems were overcome. some players initials not confirmed so uncertain of all players. let me know if I can help. if we are going to do First Class only at the moment this will give us boundaries to work within. also which comps outside league games, eg county cups etc

Just mailed you back Kev.  We already have the line ups for all the games (bar the odd one pre-WW1), but need to get them into the right electronic format - we've done about 75% so far.  But this is only phase 1, as we then have to ensure that player information is right for individual clubs, before then moving to the largest part of the task, linking players between different clubs to give their career records.

• Like 1

Fantastic! 

For the past decade or so I've been researching (off and on!) NU/rugby in Cumberland prior to WW1 and it makes for a fascinating tale. I hope, one day, to get something published but I have plenty of stats I'm happy to share relating to senior and junior NU. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Fantastic! 

For the past decade or so I've been researching (off and on!) NU/rugby in Cumberland prior to WW1 and it makes for a fascinating tale. I hope, one day, to get something published but I have plenty of stats I'm happy to share relating to senior and junior NU. 

I have compiled full results from 1898 up until 1907at the moment but tracking down league tables and aligning results is a nightmare as protests against ineligible players and early finishes were commonplace.Also got most of the regional cup results as well.Happy to pool any knowledge,have you any club photos from that era ? PM me if interested

18 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Fantastic! 

Would be great if you could join and share the info / knowledge.

6 hours ago, daveh said:

I have compiled full results from 1898 up until 1907at the moment but tracking down league tables and aligning results is a nightmare as protests against ineligible players and early finishes were commonplace.Also got most of the regional cup results as well.Happy to pool any knowledge,have you any club photos from that era ? PM me if interested

Hi Dave.  I now have what I believe to be a comprehensive list of first class club matches (some 67,678 in total), aligned to league tables, with corrections where the published ones are not right (surprisingly common, and if you think it's been bad so far, wait until you get into the 1920s!!).

If you want to see the output of all this work, to compare to your own, or to input into what we are doing, give me a shout to sign up.  It will be made public eventually, but likely a few years away, as we need to do a lot more work verifying the accuracy before we'll be in a position to publish.

5 hours ago, Neil_Ormston said:

Hi Dave.  I now have what I believe to be a comprehensive list of first class club matches (some 67,678 in total), aligned to league tables, with corrections where the published ones are not right (surprisingly common, and if you think it's been bad so far, wait until you get into the 1920s!!).

If you want to see the output of all this work, to compare to your own, or to input into what we are doing, give me a shout to sign up.  It will be made public eventually, but likely a few years away, as we need to do a lot more work verifying the accuracy before we'll be in a position to publish.

Already am signed up Neil but was referring to the Cumberland leagues in the above comment

Edited by daveh
Update