23 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Match 1

• Belgium
    • New Zealand
  2. 2. Match 2

• Germany
    • Australia

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/07/20 at 10:59

The draw has been made for the quarter finals:

New Zealand beat Japan due to drinking more beer per head. Ireland got the best 3rd place slot in the Europools.

New Zealand v Belgium
Germany v Australia
England v USA
Czech Republic v Ireland

Voting for matches 1 and 2 ends on Thursday at noon - Vote Responsibly!

Edited by tim2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On my couple of trips to New Zealand I drank a few times in a brewpub uptowards Eden Park in Auckland which was pretty good. It had a British pub vibe but I can't remember the name. 

I liked Macs Brewery in Wellington too. Really nice building on the harbour. Wellington also has the plus point of a Welsh pub in a converted public convenience. 

However the Kiwi brand beers were pretty awful. Drank Tui at a Warriors game and it was just as bad as I had been warned. 

It is eight years since I have been there so I guess they could have a craft beer scene now. 

It is something like 15 years since I visited Australia and I know they have such a scene now but they didn't back then. I remember visiting a brewpub in The Rocks in Sydney but didn't think enough of it to go a second time. I did like the dark version of Tooheys (old?) so I generally went for that. Something called Cascade was passable too.

I have drunk Coopers of Adelaide on occasion here in the UK and that is certainly interesting. A unique style.

Anyway neither match up to Belgium or Germany.

i went to new zealand about 6 years ago & there are plenty of craft breweries there. also they've got a good beer society, SOBA (society of beer advocates), similar to CAMRA here. went to a pub near the harbour in Auckland & was at 105 Quay street (or something similar) & sold 105 beers! 

Bump

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The fat lady has sung and it's bye bye to Aus and NZ. Belgium v Germany kicks off on Sunday at noon.

Coming up later - England v USA and Czech Republic v Ireland. Winners meet on Sunday as well.