Aus & NZ invitational sides

36 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

In all seriousness, unless I've missed it nothing in today's decision suggests that English players in the NRL won't be able to play in the World Cup. 

One of the arguments I've heard made today, and not really properly challenged, is that this decision has been made on the basis that "the NRL is sending 600 to 700 staff" to the World Cup.

To me that sounds somewhat preposterous as a defence of the decision of the ARLC and NZRL, unless you see the ARLC and NRL as the same. If they are the same, then surely the status of English players in Australia should be a major point here too.

Fwiw I don't think this is what they are saying. I think they are washing their hands of it to make the World Cup, subsequent isolation period, and impact on the NRL pre seasons, not their problem.

Let the 75% of rep players happy to play in the World Cup play for Invitational sides. Job done and dusted, crack on with the World Cup as planned.

The ARLC and NZRL are coming under increasing pressure after it emerged that over 75% of players said they had no concerns about playing in the World Cup.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-world-cup-players-21119348 

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

In all seriousness, unless I've missed it nothing in today's decision suggests that English players in the NRL won't be able to play in the World Cup. 

So that means Tonga, Samoa etc will all have full strength teams.

Thats it then game on - NZ are poor and the Aussies can't beat Tonga so we dont need them.

👍

Archived