Squad Depth vs Batley

raiders_1875

Never to good to go down. !!!! History in every sport proves that.

Another game that was winnable in the latter stages gone.. Wilkinson and the Wigan lad were outstanding and I actually thought all the team played well. But Josh Wood what were you doing. ?  Bad day at the office as Swinton keep defying the odds for us but well done them. 

Disappointed beyond belief and now starting to worry for the first time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RSN said:

Was the attendance down? I thought it was just under 2100 which is pretty similar to most games this season. Think we have had a few games higher and a few games lower than that this season. 

We bottled the last 15 minutes. Effort was outstanding but with that wind we should have managed the game to an easy win. 

Wilkinson and Makin were outstanding along with Broadbent and Toal. 

This side definitely doesn't go down, if we had played smarter in a lot of games I feel we would be closer to the play offs than the bottom 2. 

Attendance was way down 2009 400 short of last game at least

3 hours ago, SJD said:

I hope Cresta tears a strip off Wood, we should have been in front with a walk in try.  Today was a missed opportunity for a win, it was there for the taking.

Have you  forget his tackle that won us the game  against Keighley   ?   Sometimes these things happen.

• Like 1

Tough one to take for you guys today. Pleased to hear Wilkinson went well for you. From comments I can see Wood made a big mistake, some times risks go for you other times they don't, but if he had scored it himself he'd of been a hero. Unfortunately just one of those things.

• Like 1

Sorry but after today, after a great performance from most of the team, I can't see us surviving unless our half backs sort their attitudes out. 

Sammut's situation is now in the hands of the RFL which could have been avoided and today, he should be control the game and not throwing reckless passes. The example of this when picking up a loose ball, taking a run 20+ meters down field putting Batley on the back foot, then trys to make an audacious pass. A very poor decision. 

Not sure how or what the situation is with Johnson but he has not been on his game for some time now and is happy to scream and shout in opponents faces instead of getting on with the job. 

His kicking game was very poor today. Knocking me if you will as he most likely kicked to a plan the first half but the second was not the best. (again happy to be proven wrong) but twice or more gave Batley a 7 tackle set where one of those resulted in Batley making their way up the field, getting another set of 6 and subsequently lost the game. 

Thinking back I didn't once see him be an attacking threat. He was far too predictable and lacked giving guidance today. 

Hopefully between the two they can see the errors of their ways and improve for the latter part of the season. 

And on a positive note, the forwards were immense today. 

Edited by Gaz Martin
  • Like 3
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

29 minutes ago, Gaz Martin said:

Sorry but after today, after a great performance from most of the team, I can't see us surviving unless our half backs sort their attitudes out. 

Sammut's situation is now in the hands of the RFL which could have been avoided and today, he should be control the game and not throwing reckless passes. The example of this when picking up a loose ball, taking a run 20+ meters down field putting Batley on the back foot, then trys to make an audacious pass. A very poor decision. 

Not sure how or what the situation is with Johnson but he has not been on his game for some time now and is happy to scream and shout in opponents faces instead of getting on with the job. 

His kicking game was very poor today. Knocking me if you will as he most likely kicked to a plan the first half but the second was not the best. (again happy to be proven wrong) but twice or more gave Batley a 7 tackle set where one of those resulted in Batley making their way up the field, getting another set of 6 and subsequently lost the game. 

Thinking back I didn't once see him be an attacking threat. He was far too predictable and lacked giving guidance today. 

Hopefully between the two they can see the errors of their ways and improve for the latter part of the season. 

And on a positive note, the forwards were immense today. 

Fully agree. I don't think sammut is worth the money. A couple of moments of brilliance cancelled out by multiple moments of madness every game

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, blue forever said:

Fully agree. I don't think sammut is worth the money. A couple of moments of brilliance cancelled out by multiple moments of madness every game

100% agree sammut can produce brilliance but then makes some absolute howlers. 

He is slowly becoming a liability. Last season was on it and got us over the line many times but this season very disappointing.  Will see how we go without him for a while now  but starting to look difficult a bit with some difficult games to come. Hope proved very wrong however. 

A lot of positives today I thought but we lost. End of 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, barra fan said:

Attendance was way down 2009 400 short of last game at least

At 3pm Sunday, Ben Stokes was in full flow, hitting 6's galore against the Aussies.

Best sporting entertainment in years.

For a couple of hundred, that was likely more exciting than a Barrow Rugby game....

15 hours ago, Left Winger said:

Have you  forget his tackle that won us the game  against Keighley   ?   Sometimes these things happen.

Great tackle but it wasn’t what won us the game was it?

Woods been outstanding since he signed but it doesn’t make him immune from criticism. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jarc said:

Great tackle but it wasn’t what won us the game was it?

Woods been outstanding since he signed but it doesn’t make him immune from criticism. 

You are indeed correct its my age plus i`d had a few beers = my memory being rubbish. 

Edited by Left Winger

I don't think slating players is going to help. Johnstone has been good this season so having a go at him is over the top in my opinion, he is probably trying to hard and you can't fault his commitment.

• Like 3

On 02/07/2023 at 17:15, SJD said:

I hope Cresta tears a strip off Wood, we should have been in front with a walk in try.  Today was a missed opportunity for a win, it was there for the taking.

What about bulman dropping the ball before going over for a try? 

15 hours ago, tec said:

I don't think slating players is going to help. Johnstone has been good this season so having a go at him is over the top in my opinion, he is probably trying to hard and you can't fault his commitment.

Not slating, I have only written what I have seen throughout the season and was further amplified yesterday in their performance. 

i respect them both as players but surely they know themselves a little better decision making could have changed the result for the better. Simply change their game management, then control the game.  

If you use FB, Cresta pretty much describes the same in his post match interview.

Edited by Gaz Martin
  • Like 2
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png