New Coach - Matt Foster

Indigogo

Apparently a new coach is going to be announced later today. Club legend Matt Foster is flying in from Australia to take over the reigns.

It'll be interesting to see how long the contract is for. I really hope it's not just a short term fix for this season and there is some long term thinking involved. From what I understand Matt is still a good friend of the O'Neil family after playing for the club in the 90/00s.

Let's hope he's smuggled over some props in his suitcase!

Seriously though, it'll be interesting to see if there's any squad movement now we have what I presume will be a full time coach and the fact he's coming from Oz to purely coach can only be a benefit to the club.

What are people's thoughts on the appointment? 

My initial thoughts are that it's a good appointment.

I don't know too much about Matt's coaching record other than he's been coaching the Burleigh Bears in the Queensland Cup and doing quite well.

Being an ex player he obviously has ties with the club and hopefully this will help him be committed in the fight ahead.

I agree that this needs to be a long term appointment as we need to rebuild.

This does appear to have been planned well before Sundays game as Matt must have had time to think such a big move over.

This appointment is crucial.

Matthew Shaw,the journalist, seems to have read your post last night,Indigogo.

The fact that Matt Foster started off,as per Rhys,with Strength & Conditioning before coaching may be very useful as I no longer feel fitness is a strength;at the moment.

Has the new appointment been made too late? Probably.

Will he,as in the 90's,also be working for the Foundation? If he's good hopefully,but just coaching is a huge ask.

Difficult to be optimistic about the sport in this country with the introduction of IMG - and difficult to be optimistic for Keighley Cougars the way things have gone on and off the field since promotion/ Hendo escaped.

Approaching ten years coaching in Australia and leaving that for the uncertainty in Keighley? I wish him luck.

Perhaps the sage wisdom of the 2 elder statesmen on the board of directors has come to the fore.I hope it works for those who deserve it..

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

6 hours ago, Indigogo said:

It'll be interesting to see how long the contract is for. 

Contract not mentioned.It seems the interim has left the club with Hedges and Muir remaining.

Positive appointment on the face of it, looks to have been doing well down under. Sincerely hope Matt has been given some assurances regarding investment into the squad and hasn't flown halfway around the world purely out of loyalty to the O'Neill family. 

• Like 1

What I dont understand is why it has taken so long to roll the dice and have put ourselves in a relegation battle. Once again this must have come at a huge cost for Matt just to uproot at 36 hours notice (if true) and fly out to the UK.

Surely this would have made more sense with likes of Newcastle, Barrow, Whitehaven and York coming up instead of losing to 3 of the 4 and having to play Fev, Toulouse and Sheffield all away in the coming weeks. Wayne Bennett wouldn't be able to turn those results round.

Good luck Matt in the 9 remaining games 3 or 4 wins out of the 9 would keep us up and hopefully something positive comes out of it all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Hicks said:

What I dont understand is why it has taken so long to roll the dice and have put ourselves in a relegation battle. Once again this must have come at a huge cost for Matt just to uproot at 36 hours notice (if true) and fly out to the UK.

Surely this would have made more sense with likes of Newcastle, Barrow, Whitehaven and York coming up instead of losing to 3 of the 4 and having to play Fev, Toulouse and Sheffield all away in the coming weeks. Wayne Bennett wouldn't be able to turn those results round.

Good luck Matt in the 9 remaining games 3 or 4 wins out of the 9 would keep us up and hopefully something positive comes out of it all.

I can only presume that it's been in motion for a few weeks otherwise it would have happened sooner. Matt had a wife, full time job and coaching responsibilities to take into consideration, you don't just up sticks and move to the other side of the world on a whim. I can only hope that he's been given some assurances on signings and the squad cause we still need some props.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Indigogo said:

I can only presume that it's been in motion for a few weeks otherwise it would have happened sooner. Matt had a wife, full time job and coaching responsibilities to take into consideration, you don't just up sticks and move to the other side of the world on a whim. I can only hope that he's been given some assurances on signings and the squad cause we still need some props.

Or possibly someone else was considering it and decided it wasn't for them. I guess we may find out in time why it has taken so long to replace Lovegrove.

I was looking for some info./reaction from the Australian end.

Quite by chance I came across the following coverage.

I post without comment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BUNa--HVGFg&pp=ygUic291dGhwb3J0IHRpZ2VycyB2cyBidXJsZWlnaCBiZWFycw%3D%3D

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly have our work cut out to stay up now. Huge huge game this weekend at Swinton, lose and I fee that's us done.

Barrow getting 2 points at Bulls tonight certainly hasn't helped us. How is it teams around us always seem to eek out a win against a playoff team and we just capitulate?

I watched the game last night and it was simply a case of team rolling there sleeves up and giving everything. Main thing was there scrum half who orchestrated everything. Nothing special but just made sure the basic things were done right. The forwards tackled hard and run hard. Which pretty much is we dont seem capable of doing.

1 hour ago, Mr Hicks said:

I watched the game last night and it was simply a case of team rolling there sleeves up and giving everything. Main thing was there scrum half who orchestrated everything. Nothing special but just made sure the basic things were done right. The forwards tackled hard and run hard. Which pretty much is we dont seem capable of doing.

I watched it too, it was nothing but hard work, commitment and a good attitude from Barrow, and they deserved to win. The tactical kicking from their halves is something we've massively missed since Chizzy left and needs rectifying, quickly. 

We do run and tackle hard, but it only seems to be for 60 mins. 3 examples of this are the Sheffield, York and Widnes games at home.

Sheffield we were winning 6-0 after 21 mins, yet go in at half time 6-34, the second half is then 12-12. 

York game, after 55 mins it was 10-18 and then in the final 25 mins it was 0-32.

Widnes game it was 12-20 after 53 mins and then by the 67th minute it was 12-38 and game over. Granted we didn't roll over in this one and posted some late points. 

We seem to be able to compete for 55/60 mins but then have a 20 min period where we absolutely throw the towel in when some points are scored, heads go down and no one seems to know what they are doing. Not sure if it's a fitness thing or an attitude thing but hopefully Foster has figured it out quickly and knows how to remedy it for Sunday.