MARTYN RIDYARD SIGNS FOR 2024

HornyHornyHorneeet

MARTYN RIDYARD SIGNS FOR 2024

5506.jpg

Rochdale Hornets are delighted to announce the signing of experienced Half Martyn Ridyard ahead of the 2024 season.

Rochdale Hornets are delighted to announce the signing of experienced half, Martyn Ridyard ahead of the 2024 season. Martyn joins the club following a stellar playing career to date at the likes of Leigh Leopards, Huddersfield Giants & Featherstone Rovers.

He remains one of the best and most influential players in the sport having played in the Super League and winning the Championship and Northern Rail Cup on multiple occasions. Martyn has played over 300 first class games at Super League, Championship and League One level, scoring almost 3000 points in a remarkable 15-year professional career. Martyn was also awarded a testimonial year in 2020.

Chairman, Andy Mazey, commented on the signing; “This is a signing that signals our intent as a club to progress both on and off the field in 2024 and beyond. Riddy, as he showed playing against us this year, remains one of the best pivots operating outside of Super League, and is a leader, standard setter, decision-maker, goalkicker and prolific points scorer. He will also take his first steps into coaching with us, working under Gary as part of an improved coaching structure in 2024. Martyn lives and breaths rugby league and will be a big voice on and off the pitch for us, having done everything you can possibly do at Championship and League One levels, and also having had a successful spell in Super League. That level of experience will be massive for Gary and the group, and will help drive standards and expectations at this club”. Welcome to Hornets Riddy!".

Martyn added, "I’m really excited to be joining Rochdale Hornets. After a couple of meetings with Andy and Gary about the direction the club is going and the role I will be involved in it was an easy decision to join. I Still feel I have plenty to offer on the field but the chance to also assist Gary and his coaching staff really excited me and I’m looking forward to working along side them. Can’t wait to get started."

Player sponsorship is available for Martyn Ridyard at £300+VAT for Supporter Sponsor and £500+VAT for Corporate Sponsor. Contact the club for more information.

• Like 1

Well done to all concerned for these latest recruitments, whose experience and talents should help meld all Hornets’ talents into serious contenders for what is expected to be a very tough season.  Ridyard involved with the coaching is a bonus and along with the other former ‘lads’ from the dark side should help to boost the crowds.

Any indications of any pre-season ‘friendlies’ - perhaps Leigh for starters?

Hornets went through the pain of transforming the club last both on and off he field last season.  It looks like that may pay dividends this season. Lets get behind them. I know that Oldham are tipped to win the League, AB cup and the Eurovision song contest 😆But you never know we could give them a game.  

8 hours ago, Joe 90 said:

Hornets went through the pain of transforming the club last both on and off he field last season.  It looks like that may pay dividends this season. Lets get behind them. I know that Oldham are tipped to win the League, AB cup and the Eurovision song contest 😆But you never know we could give them a game.  

Yep, we seem to be building with a strategy and a sustainable plan which takes time but hopefully a much improved 2024 season on the pitch. Hopefully the town and borough back such vision and crowds reflect the great work being done.

Edited by HornyHornyHorneeet

22 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

True leader and steps up when required, him McNally and wilkinson will play some great attacking rugby which they did for us for the first half of the season.

Ridyard kicked us to death and Wilkinson tore us a new one around the ruck on Good Friday this year with Nelmes ripping holes in us down the middle and bagging a couple of tries from memory. Like that Meadows as well he's an athletic looking prop who doesn't seem to take a backward step and was impressive against us for Swinton the year before last.

Edited by HornyHornyHorneeet

3 hours ago, HornyHornyHorneeet said:

Ridyard kicked us to death and Wilkinson tore us a new one around the ruck on Good Friday this year with Nelmes ripping holes in us down the middle and bagging a couple of tries from memory. Like that Meadows as well he's an athletic looking prop who doesn't seem to take a backward step and was impressive against us for Swinton the year before last.

Yeah, you've got yourselves some decent ex Oldham lads there who'll be wanting to prove a point against Oldham.

• Like 1