Player fitness tests

Dunbar

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Saw this and was reminded of this thread. 175kg is obviously good but over 20 reps at over 100kg blows my mind even more:

We were informed that England starlet Tyler Dupree can bench press up to 175kg, and comfortably does over 20 reps at 100kg.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/inside-the-diet-of-wigan-warriors-powerhouse-patrick-mago-as-clubs-head-chef-talks-fuelling-super-league-champions

The NFL uses 100k in the draft.

If i remember rightly:

Linemen: 30+

Linebackers / Tight Ends: 25+

RBs: 20+

DBs: 15+

The record is close to 50.

Athletes with a real grounding in weight training from an early age. We don't take it seriously enough, though the shift to functional strength over pure gym strength is clearly more important in RL.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

like expecting brian jacks to be this years man of steel - all these fitness stats have nothing to do with been a skilled gifted RL  player

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

like expecting brian jacks to be this years man of steel - all these fitness stats have nothing to do with been a skilled gifted RL  player

Yes, good point, but isn't the 'man of steel' label a bit at odds with any attempt to position the game as skills-focused? Yes, strength and courage are key, but then you are giving the player of the year an award that sounds like it's purely about being tougher than everyone else. Reinforces a certain image of the game.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

I thought we found out in 1982 that being skillful is nothing without strength and fitness.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris