Huddersfield Giants

graham fisher

Last pre season game this coming Sunday against Huddersfield before we go into the serious stuff. Fergie's last chance to have a look at the players and see what his squad will be for the Keighley Cup game the week after. Not seen Giants squad for the so hard to make any predictions,either way I hope we go easy on them 😂

Rams 10 Giants 34

Fts Carr

Mom Restall

Att 684

• Like 2

I hope the gate is better than that Graham, although I confess that family duties means that I shall be absent.

The score is a lottery, however, dependent upon the squads that play. I bet that we are all looking forward to the competitive games starting.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Not too worried about the score, just hoping we don't pick up any injuries so we can have a good crack at Keighley and Bradford in the 1895 Cup.
Wondering whether three friendlies is maybe one too many. Will pick up my season ticket, buy a woolly hat and maybe a shirt (they're starting to grow on me).
Liking the look of the current squad and the attitude being shown by the players, we put a few good moves together at Fev last week.

Dews 12 Hudds 36

Att: 800 (noticed there was an attendance published for the Boxing Day game, long may it last)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Not too worried about the score, just hoping we don't pick up any injuries so we can have a good crack at Keighley and Bradford in the 1895 Cup.
Wondering whether three friendlies is maybe one too many. Will pick up my season ticket, buy a woolly hat and maybe a shirt (they're starting to grow on me).
Liking the look of the current squad and the attitude being shown by the players, we put a few good moves together at Fev last week.

Dews 12 Hudds 36

Att: 800 (noticed there was an attendance published for the Boxing Day game, long may it last)

Where was the attendance for the Boxing Day game? Haven’t seen it or heard a figure 

From the 20 players named, I think this might be the selection today:

1 Calum Turner

2 Lewis Carr

3 Bailey O’Connor

4 Ollie Greensmith

5 Perry Whiteley

6 Jacob Hookem

7 Marcus Walker  

8 Jimmy Beckett

9 Curtis Davies

10 Ronan Dixon

11 Brad Graham

12 Bailey Dawson 

13 Louis Collinson

14 Joe Hird

15 Jackson Walker

16 Elliot Morris

17 Joel Russell

plus Travis Corion, Dom Newton, Jack Briggs.

Rested? Owen Restall, Paul Sykes, Matt Garside. No place again for Harry Copley,will he ever play for us?

It looks like Huddersfield will be playing a mixture of first choice regulars, fringe lads and some I have not come across before.

The visitors will still be too powerful for us (like last year).

Dewsbury 10-48 Huddersfield 

FTS: Hookem

MoM: Turner

Att: 1201

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

From the 20 players named, I think this might be the selection today:

1 Calum Turner

2 Lewis Carr

3 Bailey O’Connor

4 Ollie Greensmith

5 Perry Whiteley

6 Jacob Hookem

7 Marcus Walker  

8 Jimmy Beckett

9 Curtis Davies

10 Ronan Dixon

11 Brad Graham

12 Bailey Dawson 

13 Louis Collinson

14 Joe Hird

15 Jackson Walker

16 Elliot Morris

17 Joel Russell

plus Travis Corion, Dom Newton, Jack Briggs.

Rested? Owen Restall, Paul Sykes, Matt Garside. No place again for Harry Copley,will he ever play for us?

It looks like Huddersfield will be playing a mixture of first choice regulars, fringe lads and some I have not come across before.

The visitors will still be too powerful for us (like last year).

Dewsbury 10-48 Huddersfield 

FTS: Hookem

MoM: Turner

Att: 1201

Hookem and O'Connor in the halves. 

Was always going to be ridiculously tough. But I thought they did ok and it’s good a lot of players had some minutes before next week.

Still need to bolster that defence but against good SL competition I thought it was a decent performance.

I think there’s a lot of more fringe players seriously and rightly fighting for first team spots which is great! Especially in the forwards.

Edited by RugbyPowelly
  • Like 3

Well beaten by a team that passed the ball quickly, ran on to those passes, thereby creating gaps in our defence, especially on our right. Huddersfield though, seem to have been coached into producing quite a bit of gamesmanship:  tackling around the head (they will have to be quick learners to change that for 2025), plenty of holding down in the tackle and conversely, when playing the ball, charging the marker.

On the positive side, even for a team nilled at home, it looks like we have a great team spirit and we never gave up trying. I thought that Calum Turner was our best player and Ronan Dixon thrives on the involvement of being in the middle of it all.

• Like 3
Legs, Dews, Legs.

4 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Well beaten by a team that passed the ball quickly, ran on to those passes, thereby creating gaps in our defence, especially on our right. Huddersfield though, seem to have been coached into producing quite a bit of gamesmanship:  tackling around the head (they will have to be quick learners to change that for 2025), plenty of holding down in the tackle and conversely, when playing the ball, charging the marker.

On the positive side, even for a team nilled at home, it looks like we have a great team spirit and we never gave up trying. I thought that Calum Turner was our best player and Ronan Dixon thrives on the involvement of being in the middle of it all.

I agree with Ronan Dixon in particular, loves it!

• Like 2