Tax exile wants British taxpayers to build his Football club a new stadium.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The government chose not to afford HS2.

Which doesn't affect my point at all.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

6 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Which doesn't affect my point at all.

Not really, I guess.

So I'll repeat mine: there is money. You don't just invest in transport but you absolutely do need to do that. We agree. But you do also need to invest in massive, vanity project stadiums - not overpay for them in full and fleece the taxpayer for years as per America and the Olympics - and things like massive, vanity project stadiums.

The Etihad is getting on for a quarter of a century old. The northwest needs investment. Why not Old Trafford? 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Not really, I guess.

So I'll repeat mine: there is money. You don't just invest in transport but you absolutely do need to do that. We agree. But you do also need to invest in massive, vanity project stadiums - not overpay for them in full and fleece the taxpayer for years as per America and the Olympics - and things like massive, vanity project stadiums.

The Etihad is getting on for a quarter of a century old. The northwest needs investment. Why not Old Trafford? 

We'll have to agree to disagree here and leave it.

We both think that the North (and all the other regions) needs investment in infrastructure and we probably agree that much of the previous money has been mis-spent, we just disagree on what the money should be spent on.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

'Speaking about building a new stadium, he said: "Trafford Park is where the industrial revolution began.." '

Mmm, an interesting claim by Sir Jim - and utter nonsense I would suggest.  The industrialisation of Trafford Park dates from the closing years of the 19th century.  If Sir Jim thinks nothing of industrial significance had happened before then, maybe he ought to enrol on a GCSE history course!

The problem is they build a multi purpose stadium for the various games, as soon as it is over they give it to a football club who rips up the track restrict the use for other sports.

I'd rather they built a stadium that excluded the top flight football 🙂 Football is too powerful in this country.

The stadium that Man City Woman use is a great multi purpose stadium if somewhat small. More like that with a larger capacity would be great around the country.