Paul March joins as our new Assistant Coach for 2024

We are delighted to welcome Paul March to the club as our new Assistant Coach for 2024.

The forty-four-year-old joins the coaching team at FLAIR Stadium alongside Head Coach Dale Ferguson and Assistant Coach Conor Turner.

March has a wealth of experience in rugby league playing over four hundred first-class games during a nineteen-year career which included spells at Super League sides Huddersfield Giants and Wakefield Trinity.

In 2008, he took up his first coaching position as Player-Coach at York Knights before moving to Hunslet and then Keighley Cougars where he won promotion in 2010 and the iPro Sport Cup in 2016.

After hanging up his boots, he became Featherstone Rovers Reserves Head Coach and First Team Assistant Coach in 2019, helping guide them to victory in the 1895 Cup as well as a spot in the Million Pound Game before stepping down in 2021. In 2022, he took up his most recent role as Head Coach at Shaw Cross Sharks, which he will continue in.

Upon joining the club March said, “I’ve been speaking to Fergie for a few weeks now and I offered to help and advise him where I can, so when he asked me if I’d step up into the role of Assistant Coach I was delighted to accept.

I didn’t get a chance to play for my hometown club, but I’m really pleased that I’m now able to help as a coach. Obviously with my Shaw Cross responsibilities I’ve got a good insight into the game at a community level and I’ve also got strong links with the other clubs in the area as well.”

Head Coach Dale Ferguson said, “Marchy will be great for us, he’s someone who truly lives and breathes rugby league.

He’s worked with some world-class coaches in his time and you can see that straight away, the influence he’s had on both the players and me in a short space of time has been fantastic.”

• Like 5

We will get plenty of enthusiasm and old-fashioned motivation from him, that's for sure.

• Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

We will get plenty of enthusiasm and old-fashioned motivation from him, that's for sure.

Do you mean motivation like Tony Fisher’s motivation?

• Haha 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

I never used to enjoy watching him as a player coach. Too eager to try and boss the ref for a start. However he may inject a bit of a more competitive spirit into the pack. 

Let's hope so. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Do you mean motivation like Tony Fisher’s motivation?

Not big enough - more like Maurice Bamford.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.