With speculation rife over a potential Rugby League return for Benji Marshall, his former club Wests Tigers have thrown their support behind the move – even if he won’t be re-joining them.
In a statement issued today, the Tigers confirmed they are not in a position to offer the New Zealand star a deal of any kind, having already moved forward since releasing him from his deal to join Auckland Blues in the 15-man code. However, Tigers CEO Grant Mayer confirmed that they would fully support any move back to the 13-man game, insisting the competition will be stronger with Marshall in it.
“Benji is a Club stalwart who will always be part of our history,” Mayer said. “Unfortunately we are not in a position to offer him anything at the Wests Tigers, as he made a decision last year and we have had to move forward.
“We believe that the NRL is stronger with Benji Marshall and we will not stand in his way from returning to the competition. Benji will always hold a special place in our heart and we believe he would be a great addition to any Club in the future,” he said.
Marshall confirmed his intention to move back to the NRL on Monday. However, despite immediate speculation linking him back to his former club, his agent rebuffed the claims, insisting that Marshall would not be returning to the Tigers.