TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Roadworks at Stanmore

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

Who plans these things? The slip road off the M1 joins a dual carriageway, which narrows to single carriageway and then a roundabout - already a recipe for a jam. But there were also temporary lights - no one working mind. And on the way back they'd gone. Event at Wembley, bottlneck, I know let's dig the road up. Do they do it deliberately?

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#2 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Aug 29 2010, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who plans these things? The slip road off the M1 joins a dual carriageway, which narrows to single carriageway and then a roundabout - already a recipe for a jam. But there were also temporary lights - no one working mind. And on the way back they'd gone. Event at Wembley, bottlneck, I know let's dig the road up. Do they do it deliberately?

Roadworks at Stanmore? Could you not cut back through Marrickville, then via Enmore road through Newtown?

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Aug 29 2010, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do they do it deliberately?

Nope. We had to send them an e-mail and your reg. number. biggrin.gif

#4 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Aug 29 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope. We had to send them an e-mail and your reg. number. biggrin.gif

And the rest of us?

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

Guilty by association. tongue.gif

#6 Jeffles

Jeffles
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Aug 29 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roadworks at Stanmore? Could you not cut back through Marrickville, then via Enmore road through Newtown?

Exactly.

#7 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Aug 29 2010, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no M1 at Stanmore, only Parramatta Road as the main nearby artery, and as one of the boundaries.

Were you thinking of the M4 perhaps? But that is miles away from Stanmore anyway.

You could perhaps do well to follow the advice above of totalrl.com's resident map reader Hornetto next time.

Personally, if I was stuck in traffic at Stanmore in a rush on my way to Wembley, I would park my car on a side street and take a taxi to the airport. QANTAS and British Airways don't wait for late passengers, even those with the lame old "roadworks" excuse like you have presented here. laugh.gif

Edited by ParisSurtout, 31 August 2010 - 01:20 AM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#8 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Jeffles @ Aug 31 2010, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly.

Alternatively, you could get a lift with the Petersham RSL courtesy bus via Ashfield!!

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!

#9 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Aug 31 2010, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alternatively, you could get a lift with the Petersham RSL courtesy bus via Ashfield!!

Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with London at all. We put Stanmore in the sat nav, intending to park at Stanmore underground - where I parked the last time I went to Wembley (1983 laugh.gif )
We ran into the jam and subsequently discovered that the car park was full anyway, turned around, turned right at the first roundabout and parked on the street down there. Judging from the people hanging about it's obviously a Jewish area.
It took us about 15 mins to walk back to the underground.

Another annoying factor was that we needn't have bought return tickets. You didn't need a ticket on the return journey.

#10 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Aug 29 2010, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty good effort to work a reference to the Jets into this thread.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#11 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Aug 31 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with London at all. We put Stanmore in the sat nav, intending to park at Stanmore underground - where I parked the last time I went to Wembley (1983 laugh.gif )
We ran into the jam and subsequently discovered that the car park was full anyway, turned around, turned right at the first roundabout and parked on the street down there. Judging from the people hanging about it's obviously a Jewish area.

Another annoying factor was that we needn't have bought return tickets. You didn't need a ticket on the return journey.

Well, if you'd headed to Aylesbury, and got a train from there....... wink.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#12 Jeffles

Jeffles
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Sep 1 2010, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A ten minute walk condensed into a 45 minute bus trip.

There are currently roadworks on Percival Rd near the intersection of Parramatta Rd. Sydney Water is fixing a mains pipe. Bloody noise has been interrupting my sleep.

Go the Bluebags.

#13 Herbert Splatt

Herbert Splatt
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Aug 31 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The religion of the residents has nothing to do with anything does it?

We didn't have a problem with traffic, other than about a five minute wait where the roadworks were just before the roundabout. But then we made sure we got there in plenty of time. With 85,000 people heading to Wembley with the majority coming from the north, we made sure we arrived early so not to get delayed. We drove past Stanmore station, turned left at the lights and drove down to Queensbury. We had a NCP car park where parking all day was 1 and the tube station was just round the corner, giving us time before hand to eat an 11am early lunch at Morrisons.

We didn't have to wait long at all anywhere because we left plenty of time for delays. I think the only delay we had other than the five mins wait in roadworks on the way down was the five minute wait for the tube at Wembley Park on the way back.

#14 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Jeffles @ Sep 1 2010, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A ten minute walk condensed into a 45 minute bus trip.

There are currently roadworks on Percival Rd near the intersection of Parramatta Rd. Sydney Water is fixing a mains pipe. Bloody noise has been interrupting my sleep.

Go the Bluebags.

Posted Image

#15 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Herbert Splatt @ Sep 1 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The religion of the residents has nothing to do with anything does it?

Not really, I just thought that parking in an area populated by pious observant orthodox jews would be fairly safe from vandalism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users