Squad News

Dave Naylor

Some news on the squad from the ORLFC Faceplant pages

Essentially:

• The players are training hard
  • Langtree, Thompson and Hughes have picked up knocks in training but that's the way it is
  • Tom Dempsey and Richard Joy have left the club together with long-term injury Steven Neild
  • Adam Clay's recovery is on schedule but he won't feature in pre-season friendlies
  • All the new guys will get a run-out in those friendlies
  • Jack Spencer is seen as a drop-in replacement for Adam Neal
  • Scott will be talking to Huddersfield after Xmas to box off dual reg players

Disappointing about Dempsey as he looked a talented lad but he was nowhere ready to make the step up to the Championship. Still would've liked to have seen him sign a longer term deal and then maybe loan him out to a League 1 club.

I liked the look of Spencer at Halifax but I don't think he's got the size to play prop whereas Hope is a big lad with a huge engine. Wouldn't mind Thompson getting a few minutes in the front row as well and try and use him a bit like Graham constantly going to the line and passing the ball like in the Keighley decider. Still would like another prop though.

Disappointing about Dempsey as he looked a talented lad but he was nowhere ready to make the step up to the Championship. Still would've liked to have seen him sign a longer term deal and then maybe loan him out to a League 1 club.

I liked the look of Spencer at Halifax but I don't think he's got the size to play prop whereas Hope is a big lad with a huge engine. Wouldn't mind Thompson getting a few minutes in the front row as well and try and use him a bit like Graham constantly going to the line and passing the ball like in the Keighley decider. Still would like another prop though.

I have said that I think we will miss Adam Neal, he had a great season and led the pack well. Don't see Spanner junior doing that but hope i'm proved wrong. 

I thank Dave for the news about the squad. To me the most important part about that blog is regarding possible Huddersfield players. Great to know that the players are working hard, and we have almost got a  decent squad. We need a pack leader, and I hope we can add one or two decent loanees from the Giants. Would be surprised if we sign anyone else now, I'm sure the best players that were available are now contracted elsewhere, and money is of course a big factor even if there was anyone. 

Am looking forward very much to the championship, it's definitely Oldham's turn to have a bash in this division. It will be better watching from a decent stadium without missing  some of the play because of a limited view.  I just hope the squad is good enough to compete.. Can't wait for the season to start, and see how it all pans out.  

Archived