EAGLES V 'FAX

Eagleraider

Fantastic performance - all they scored was from an interception - they never looked like scoring except for one held up - they do however try to cheat their way up field fortunately the ref didn't fall for most of it - but they still were off isde at nearly every tackle - continually laid on, ripped when they could and hardly ever played the ball properly - we were perfect! - but what's up with the righthand side??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fantastic performance - all they scored was from an interception - they never looked like scoring except for one held up - they do however try to cheat their way up field fortunately the ref didn't fall for most of it - but they still were off isde at nearly every tackle - continually laid on, ripped when they could and hardly ever played the ball properly - we were perfect! - but what's up with the righthand side??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It was Tubby's Tactics to keep the ball away from Worrincy and it worked.....The fact that Fax had not conceded a point this season until tonight also makes good reading......I thought our Second Rowers worked exceptionally hard also......Eagles soaring above the rest in Pool B!!!!!

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

eagletarian.gif

I thought it was also a sporting gesture that the home fans clapped the Interchange Official off the field after he was booed whilst going on.

:lol:

Good solid workmanlike performance, nothing more, nothing less. Just hope we can carry it on in to the league season. Looks like we will need a bonus point at the most on Monday to qualify, maybe we could play some of our younger lads? Although I'd like to see Menzie and Richie Barnett get a game under their belts before the real stuff starts, both were in attendance last night, btw.

card.png

Excellent performance by the Eagles and congratulations.

As to your other points, it just shows how myopic RL supporters can be because I came away with exactly the same opinions.......only the other way around. It was the Eagles who laid on, were offside etc. etc.

Let's face it, we all see what we want to see and ignore what we don't. ;)

As to your other points, it just shows how myopic RL supporters can be because I came away with exactly the same opinions.......only the other way around. It was the Eagles who laid on, were offside etc. etc.

Exactly, I thought Hewer could've been stricter for both teams on the 'minor' offences if you like. I can't wait for the game at the Shay, we should both have our full squad by then and I think it'll be a cracker.

card.png

One of the old school refs (can't remember which one) once said that if both sets of supporters booed him off he can't be far wrong!!

It would have been easy for Gareth to have blown a lot more but do we necessarily want to see that? What I saw was a tough game of rugby league in difficult conditions where both defences were excellent and tries were hard to come by.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

From my strictly neutral (cough) point of view i thought it was a very good game given the conditions. There was very little grip on the pitch. It wasnt a dirty game, yes the ref can blow for minor things but if you do that every time the game would be so slow it would be like a union match. Im not sure what all the offside shouting was about, i didnt see that many. Markers not square was the one that was happening most frequent.

Excellent performance by the Eagles and with Barnett, Menzie and hopefully Aaron still to come incompetiton for places is going to be excellent which can only be good. I would like to see a few changes to the team for the Oldham match to keep people fresh.

2010 - Where it all begins again......

Nice to hear an unbiased account of last night's match from a Fax fan. When I was leaving, most of 'em were saying the reason we won was a) Fax played "######" B) the Eagles were cheating by lying on etc, or c) the ref was bent. I think we wanted it more. The Fax team were held up on the way, but I'm sure they wouldn't use that as an excuse.

Excellent performance by the Eagles and with Barnett, Menzie and hopefully Aaron still to come incompetiton for places is going to be excellent which can only be good. I would like to see a few changes to the team for the Oldham match to keep people fresh.

Without being speculative i.e what he'd said on Facebook what's the official diagnosis of his injury?

There are two rules for success:

1.) Don't tell all you know.

Without being speculative i.e what he'd said on Facebook what's the official diagnosis of his injury?

I hadn't seen that until you just pointed it out, don't see why he'd make it up. Terrible news.

card.png

A few comments from the Fax forum where in excess of 110 postings about the match have been made.....(all spellings and punctuation courtesy of the Halifax supporters ;)

1] I thought it was a decent performace really considering the preperation. Some of the defence was very good especially our scrambling defence. Sayeeeeeds monster hit was worth the admission price alone. We didnt click in attack but it wasnt really our pitch or weather to do that so im not overly concerened. It was really our first decent hit up and in that sense it was a good game for us and as strange as it seems the result will do us a favour. A loss early doors takes some of the pressure off because no one will remember the circumstances but just the result.

Gareth Hewer was a disgrace. He didnt cost us the game or anything like that but a few of his decisions were poor to say the least. Sheffield player held up over our line, he gave a 20 metre restart. Sheffield kick touches one of our players and hits the corner flag, he was giving a 10 metre scrum until the linesman intervined. Patterson kicks ahead chases the kick and makes the tackle himself, the genius Hewer is gives a penalty for offside. I mean hes got bright red boots on how did he not know he had kicked it. Tamghart gets a clear spear tackle against him, no penalty. We get penalised for not playing the ball correctly but 2 out of the next five play the balls are not played by the players foot.

Overall Sheffield are dark horses for me, they probably have the 3rd best team on paper in the league and may go under the radar so to speak of a lot of teams. So on that basis i dont think its a bad result.

2] Sheff will always deserve some credit as they play to their strengths.

3] Sheffield only played with one forward and won? impressive.

4] It amazes me how a club like Sheffield remain competitive - living on hallf our attendance and yet to me - they remian favourites when we play them as far as I'm concerned.

5] To be honest the loss may do us good as it makes the players realize they are not unbeatable. It also takes the pressure away a little of going through unbeaten. We needed a tough game after London and not having a proper pre season. Ratrher lose now than later in the season We certainly did not have a good preparation being stuck in traffic due to an accident on the motorway and missing the likes of Black, Maloney, Aizue, Greenwood does weaken us a little. Well done Sheffield and shows once again they will be a major threat to Fax, Widnes and Barrow

6] A bit disappointed with the result, but our defence is looking much better than it has done for a long time. Very solid tackling and not many breaking through our line.

Shame about the Seagulls fans and their bitter feelings. Still haven't got over Rob coming to us, still booing his every touch. He played very well again tonight and came in for some dubious rough stuff from them in every tackle.

and finally for now..

7] Good in defence, ref a disgrace, preparation a disaster, pitch too narrow and too many players missing

However apart from all that I have to say we looked totally clueless going forward. Pretty poor stuff really

. which demonstrates a very varied but generally complimentary response about the game

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

Some decent opinions there as well as the normal garbage. I'm not sure where the "not getting over rob leaving" comment sprang from, it not his leaving that bothered us (I think were a better squad now), it was the manner he did it.

It's good to see us getting a bit of credit now, last year when we did them at The Shay they spat the dummy out as bad as I've ever seen.

On a personal note, a bit thank you to the whole (except one) of block six for their generous applause. I may have made history at don valley as the first match official not to be booed off. :lol:

2010 - Where it all begins again......

Some decent opinions there as well as the normal garbage. I'm not sure where the "not getting over rob leaving" comment sprang from, it not his leaving that bothered us (I think were a better squad now), it was the manner he did it.

Absolutely.

And the narrow pitch escuse again. Well, they're going to have trouble at Dewsbury then - that's more than two metres narrower. A bloke that complains about pitch width is a bloke looking for excuses. :happy:

Incidentally, the widest pitch in our division is also the shortest ..... any guesses ? :mellow:

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"