Swinton 26-24 Oldham

RoughyedsMad

Some fantastic fighting spirit in the closing stages of the second half and literally too with a massive flare-up which resulted in two red cards for us! We came up just short in the end but why did we allow the first half to be laboured, boring and predictable with no enthusiasm. If we had played to our full capabilities to the full 80 we would have won! No question! Swinton are no great shakes but we showed them too much respect instead of getting stuck in! Not the end of the world though and an excellent hit out to blow off the cobwebs! I fear for us next week though! I really do! I see that Leigh have beaten Keighley 86-0 earlier this afternoon! Leigh are on a different planet and a Super League team in all but name! We will just have to hope that Leigh rest a few first teamers ready for their season opener against Bradford Bulls and then it may make for a more competitive match!

Thought your 9 was motm, that Tyson is going to have to watch himself, one viewing of the video will show how easy it is to wind him up

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Decent performance from the lads today. Forwards held their own against a Swinton pack who have played at a higher level,

Kieron Purtill was there from Huddersfield Giants coaching staff - I hope he has an exciting young half back somewhere in the Huddersfield ranks that he can loan out for the season as we are desperate for a half with pace and a step who will run at the opposition and worry them. Appreciate we have Palfrey to come back in but we do look like we need another decent halfback as we are lacking pace in that area.

Tyson was, unfortunately, rightly sent off. He had been sin-binned for mouthing off to ref after they disallowed a try he thought he had scored and had only been on the field a few minutes when Mason and their Nr 8 had a tear up (both sent off) but Tyson charged in and probably threw as many punches as the rest of the teams put together, completely lost his head, even wanted to fight their subs on the sidelines after going off, needs to learn a lesson from it.

There was a bit of needle generally in this so called friendly with Gee and Littler having a bit of a set too throughout the game, looks like games between the teams could be tasty this season if this is anything to go by.

A reasonable start to blow a few cobwebs away.

COME ON OLDHAM!!!! COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!

This Swinton pack who has played at a higher level.... Where do you get that from?

The Swinton team which played you have had one run out. Having ditched dual reg our club has brought in its own players and yes some of those have played for clubs in higher divisions.

It was a good run out for both teams and some good rugby played too.

I wish Oldham well as I have just read some of your posts regarding possible winding up petitions. A club with good history as yours and ours do not justify being run in a manor which threatens it's existence.

As exciting as a fight can be for fans, both Mason and Tyson were culprits in this regard last year too. They may be among our best players, but it doesn't matter how good they are if they are in the sin bin, dressing room or in the dug out, banned.

We need a little perspective. Barrow, Swinton and 'Dale were the worst performers in the Championship last year. We've played one in a friendly, about to play another and have Dale as first League game. If we lose those three matches...how will we do against Keighley and North Wales, not to mention York and Newcastle?

To lay a marker down and have any chance of play-off rugby we need to win against Barrow and 'Dale, and demonstrate better discipline while doing it.

As exciting as a fight can be for fans, both Mason and Tyson were culprits in this regard last year too. They may be among our best players, but it doesn't matter how good they are if they are in the sin bin, dressing room or in the dug out, banned.

We need a little perspective. Barrow, Swinton and 'Dale were the worst performers in the Championship last year. We've played one in a friendly, about to play another and have Dale as first League game. If we lose those three matches...how will we do against Keighley and North Wales, not to mention York and Newcastle?

To lay a marker down and have any chance of play-off rugby we need to win against Barrow and 'Dale, and demonstrate better discipline while doing it.

Dale are a football team

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

• 2 weeks later...

Archived