Saints Stadium 3D Tour

I am impressed.

I am sure that the management and supporters of Toulouse will be impressed when they come to play there in 2012.

My only concern is with the elevation. I always like to get an elevated seat so that I can get a panoramic view of the playing field.

Of all the English stadia KC stadium does that best for me. Wiigan and Galpharm are not bad, though not as good as KC. Of the French stadia Ernest Wallon, Aime Giral, and the top of the main stand at Gilbert Brutus are all good. But I got the impression that the new Saints stadium elevation may not be that good. I hope that I am wrong.

Forcing the visiting sides' fans to stand on a terrace behind the posts is a good disciplinary move.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Looks really good. I think most teams will be a bit jealous! Not sure about the new logo/name, but sure it will grow over time.

Only criticism I'd have is the capacity. 18k seems a bit on the low side. Would 20k+ have been better? I guess if there is room for expansion down the line then fair enough as better to have 15k in an 18k stadium that wandering about in a 25k in terms of atmospere. Prob due to the capacity but it makes stands look a bit small! Looks more impressive from outside! But thats the only real criticism.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Looks really good. I think most teams will be a bit jealous! Not sure about the new logo/name, but sure it will grow over time.

Only criticism I'd have is the capacity. 18k seems a bit on the low side. Would 20k+ have been better? I guess if there is room for expansion down the line then fair enough as better to have 15k in an 18k stadium that wandering about in a 25k in terms of atmospere. Prob due to the capacity but it makes stands look a bit small! Looks more impressive from outside! But thats the only real criticism.

Saints had the option of a larger capacity stadium but decided to go for quality not quantity, the facilities the stadium has will allow the club to use the stadium all year round. With the new stadium and the new training facility that's getting built it's been a great week for Saints fans.

Were the fans consulted at all regarding the number of seats? Over 10,000 in a capacity of just 18000 seems a lot to me. I don't know what the split is at warrington but for me they've kept a good atmosphere there which is largely down to decent sized standing areas. Also, where abouts is the site for the new stadium, it's not stuck on the edge of town with ###### all around it is it? Wigan, hull, warrington and huddersfield all have pubs etc within easy walking distance which adds to the match day atmosphere for me.
Warrington does have a lower percentage of seats, although that is down to a smaller overall capacity. The thing is that at Warrington it is now pretty difficult to get a seat, most games have limited seats available, with season tickets taking up most of these.

My season ticket is now for the seats where that would never have happened at Wilderspool. Saints will find that sitting down will become more and more popular, and it is wise to have plenty of seats.

There is still plenty of standing room available, but I suspect many people don't bother sitting in the stand at KR due to the appalling view and comfort levels.

Saints had the option of a larger capacity stadium but decided to go for quality not quantity, the facilities the stadium has will allow the club to use the stadium all year round. With the new stadium and the new training facility that's getting built it's been a great week for Saints fans.

I do think that is a bit of spin tbh. I'm sure the club would have been happy to have an extra couple of thousand, however probably decided that based on averages, and size required for some big RFL events, that 18.5k is adequate and will retain the atmosphere.

Even basic grounds have facilities that can be used all year round.

One of the things I will be interested in is the Cafe Bar, whether they can make this pay. I know when Warrington built theirs they decided not to have a fan's bar, much to the dismay of many fans, however I expect that Warrington had a lot less space available on theirs.

It will be interesting to see if they can maximise the use of this or if it becomes just a matchday bar.

I do think that is a bit of spin tbh. I'm sure the club would have been happy to have an extra couple of thousand, however probably decided that based on averages, and size required for some big RFL events, that 18.5k is adequate and will retain the atmosphere.

Even basic grounds have facilities that can be used all year round.

One of the things I will be interested in is the Cafe Bar, whether they can make this pay. I know when Warrington built theirs they decided not to have a fan's bar, much to the dismay of many fans, however I expect that Warrington had a lot less space available on theirs.

It will be interesting to see if they can maximise the use of this or if it becomes just a matchday bar.

Probably is spin, I don't care we will have one of the best Rugby Grounds in the world (getting the hang of spin)

If the club sells food and drink at reasonable prices there is no reason why the sports bar won't pay its way, Saints will need to make sure that they employ the right people at the new ground to make it a success as they will have services to offer that they haven't been able to on this kind of scale before.

Probably is spin, I don't care we will have one of the best Rugby Grounds in the world (getting the hang of spin)

If the club sells food and drink at reasonable prices there is no reason why the sports bar won't pay its way, Saints will need to make sure that they employ the right people at the new ground to make it a success as they will have services to offer that they haven't been able to on this kind of scale before.

Agree with that, this will be completely different to the operation you run from KR.

You will probably find that it is contracted out, certainly the hospitality sections.

I think the sports bar will be great on matchday, but it will be interesting to see whether they can get people in to watch matches on a Friday and Saturday night. As I say, there was extensive debate about the Warrington stadium and whether it should have a fan's sports bar like this, and personally I felt it was a touch too far out of town to get the normal weekend crowds, and would simply become a matchday bar. It will be interesting to see how it works at Saints.

You mean people who speak English better than they speak Dari or Hindi? I hope so.

I am also concerned that they don't try to force very spicy curries on us, disguised as food.

Some us will be quite happy with baguettes with poulet, or jambon et fromage, and also croque monsieur.

_____

You mean people who speak English better than they speak Dari or Hindi? I hope so.

I am also concerned that they don't try to force very spicy curries on us, disguised as food.

Some us will be quite happy with baguettes with poulet, or jambon et fromage, and also croque monsieur.

Have you been to st helens? Ever?

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Have you been to st helens? Ever?

No, but I have been to Wigan often. I have even slept in Wigan for two nights in a row.

That was close enough to St Helens for my liking. Nothing against the Saints fans. I love the adventurous ones who come to France to see the Catalans. We had a great time together. But given the disgraceful state of Nose Leigh Road, I have never had a reason to go to St Helens.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

No, but I have been to Wigan often. I have even slept in Wigan for two nights in a row.

That was close enough to St Helens for my liking. Nothing against the Saints fans. I love the adventurous ones who come to France to see the Catalans. We had a great time together. But given the disgraceful state of Nose Lee Road, I have never had a reason to go to St Helens.

I only ask because there are very few urban areas in the UK with a lower ethnic minority population. You may complain about Scouse accents and poor grammar, but inability to speak English through not being a native speaker is unlikely

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

What's with the Rugby Union book in the Boardroom? Surely they could have had a Saints book.

I did wonder whether Ray French had left it there by mistake.

I pointed this oversight out on a redvee thread the other day and was told to stop moaning, accused of being negative and that apparently it only appeared to be 2 Union players contesting a lineout. Couldn't be clearer to my eyes.

Subsequently I have been reliably informed that the offending website designer has been shot and that a more appropriate book image is being sorted out.

Other than that it looks very good. I would like to think that they have allowed for future capacity expansion in the configuration of the ground; I'm sure a load of people, both locals and away fans, are put off going to watch Saints simply because of the poor standard of facilities at Knowsley Rd and would expect attendances to rise.

Not convinced by the rebrand, I would prefer to keep the proper name St Helens RLFC and limit the Saints RL to T shirts and the like. Can't imagine Man United will be renaming themselves Red Devils FC anytime soon, or Everton FC becoming The Toffees FC etc etc.

(grabs his flatcap and exits).

Edited by foozler

I did wonder whether Ray French had left it there by mistake.

I pointed this oversight out on a redvee thread the other day and was told to stop moaning, accused of being negative and that apparently it only appeared to be 2 Union players contesting a lineout. Couldn't be clearer to my eyes.

Subsequently I have been reliably informed that the offending website designer has been shot and that a more appropriate book image is being sorted out.

Other than that it looks very good. I would like to think that they have allowed for future capacity expansion in the configuration of the ground; I'm sure a load of people, both locals and away fans, are put off going to watch Saints simply because of the poor standard of facilities at Knowsley Rd and would expect attendances to rise.

Not convinced by the rebrand, I would prefer to keep the proper name St Helens RLFC and limit the Saints RL to T shirts and the like. Can't imagine Man United will be renaming themselves Red Devils FC anytime soon, or Everton FC becoming The Toffees FC etc etc.

(grabs his flatcap and exits).

:D Good to hear - quite right too!

I don't think that Saints will need a higher capacity any time soon. I think they have been pretty sensible with the capacity, and is ideal for some of the RFL games.

Clubs should only look to increase their capacity if they sell out pretty much week in week out. Not because 2 games a year could get a bigger crowd, yet otherwise there are thousands of empty spaces.

Wigan are leading the way in marketing and getting the crowds in and offer very reasonable prices, yet even they would only have had 3 sellouts in a ground the size of Saints' this year, and two of those games had plenty of effort in.

18,500 is a good capacity for a Rugby club of either code, and even with 12k in will probably be a very good atmosphere.

:D Good to hear - quite right too!

I don't think that Saints will need a higher capacity any time soon. I think they have been pretty sensible with the capacity, and is ideal for some of the RFL games.

Clubs should only look to increase their capacity if they sell out pretty much week in week out. Not because 2 games a year could get a bigger crowd, yet otherwise there are thousands of empty spaces.

Wigan are leading the way in marketing and getting the crowds in and offer very reasonable prices, yet even they would only have had 3 sellouts in a ground the size of Saints' this year, and two of those games had plenty of effort in.

18,500 is a good capacity for a Rugby club of either code, and even with 12k in will probably be a very good atmosphere.

I agree that the 18500 is a good capacity to start with and will suit most games; my point is that if Saints can get 17500 to Knowsley Rd for the Wigan and Warrington games, they should, in plush new surroundings be able to sell out 18500 for such fixtures and have demand over that figure if marketed correctly.

It would be a shame if at some point in the future the club was unable to increase capacity in a cost effective manner because such a scenario/ plan hadn't been incorporated into the original build.

I only ask because there are very few urban areas in the UK with a lower ethnic minority population. You may complain about Scouse accents and poor grammar, but inability to speak English through not being a native speaker is unlikely

Also rumoured to have one of the narrowest gene pools ;)

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant