Mal Meninga tempted by Saints job

He's a manager not a coach. If he was appointed, his assistant would have to be very very good.

There is something to that. His assistants include Michael Hagan, who would be a good choice to lead the Saints to victory.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

He's a manager not a coach. If he was appointed, his assistant would have to be very very good.

Blimey....whats tempted you out of the woodwork :P Nice to see you back mate :D

In interviews with some of the Saints players they have said they would like Kieran Purtill (current assistant) to get the job. Maybe Eamon McManus will appoint Meninga as a mentor role to Purtill.

He said on radio Mancs thursday that they have a shortlist of 4 they have interviewed & the board will sit down & decide who they want. He also said that 1 candidate was English! ? Purtill ? A.N. Other. Let the speculation begin :D

Blimey....whats tempted you out of the woodwork :P Nice to see you back mate :D

In interviews with some of the Saints players they have said they would like Kieran Purtill (current assistant) to get the job. Maybe Eamon McManus will appoint Meninga as a mentor role to Purtill.

He said on radio Mancs thursday that they have a shortlist of 4 they have interviewed & the board will sit down & decide who they want. He also said that 1 candidate was English! ? Purtill ? A.N. Other. Let the speculation begin :D

do you think promotion form within a club(not just Saints) is a good idea? I'm not so sure.

I would love to see meninga back at Saints, but Ben's observation is an accurate one. On the other hand as you say maybe it isn't a coch they need... Interesting times!

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

do you think promotion form within a club(not just Saints) is a good idea? I'm not so sure.

I would love to see meninga back at Saints, but Ben's observation is an accurate one. On the other hand as you say maybe it isn't a coch they need... Interesting times!

I know what you are saying & agree when you look at cases like Richard Agar (sorry Hull fans) & Jimmy Lowes (not so sorry Wire fans :P ) but something doesnt seem quite right. Maybe familiarity is a problem & a new broom gives a clean sweep?

I do feel its an issue though especially with the number of top flight British coaches with regard to the international scene. Maybe Saints & other clubs need to take brave steps like this to increase british coaching in the future

I know what you are saying & agree when you look at cases like Richard Agar (sorry Hull fans) & Jimmy Lowes (not so sorry Wire fans :P ) but something doesnt seem quite right. Maybe familiarity is a problem & a new broom gives a clean sweep?

I do feel its an issue though especially with the number of top flight British coaches with regard to the international scene. Maybe Saints & other clubs need to take brave steps like this to increase british coaching in the future

that's where I'm coming from.

I was talking to David Seeds recenly. He is now a member of the Whitehaven coaching staff after playing for them for many years.

he's doing well under difficult circumstances, but he said that it ws really hard for him to switch roles. Not quite the same I know, but if people see you as one thing and then become another it can be problematic.

having Meninga at saints would be very symbolic and would have an electric effect especialy with the new stadium onthe way.

Keeping it local

Why do Saints fans feel some sort of connection with Meninga in such a big way?

He only played around 30 games for Saints 25 years ago.

If he is that symbolic for the Club I suggest the Club needs more heroes or symbols......

Why do Saints fans feel some sort of connection with Meninga in such a big way?

He only played around 30 games for Saints 25 years ago.

If he is that symbolic for the Club I suggest the Club needs more heroes or symbols......

Beacause he was and still is Mal Meninga.

Keeping it local

Beacause he was and still is Mal Meninga.

Or to put it another way, Mal Meninga is a legend in his own lifetime.

He also has the most crippling handshake I have ever experienced!

What more appropriate way to open St Helens' new era in its sparkling new ground than to have the legendary Mal Meninga installed as coach? You would want to pay him and an assistant, to ensure that the job was well done. But I think that having Meninga as Head Coach would ensure that the stadium was filled every weekend.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Or to put it another way, Mal Meninga is a legend in his own lifetime.

He also has the most crippling handshake I have ever experienced!

What more appropriate way to open St Helens' new era in its sparkling new ground than to have the legendary Mal Meninga installed as coach? You would want to pay him and an assistant, to ensure that the job was well done. But I think that having Meninga as Head Coach would ensure that the stadium was filled every weekend.

Maybe for you.

Meninga the fine player that he was lines up with many other Australian players that were champions but "Legend in his lifetime" is corny.

He was a great player, you could list a couple of dozen of similar status, Mal may have some records as far as Test caps go but with due respect to those achievements he is one of many greats.

It does not sound like he is fully committed to Saint Helens.

"Mal categorically denies that he is going to St Helens. Neither he nor I have spoken a word to them at all.

"Mal wants to definitely coach Queensland next year to a possible sixth consecutive series win over NSW, especially with two home matches being held in Queensland. He does not know where any of this speculation about him going to St Helens is coming from.

Link

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/mal...0-1225887809460