Wigan sign Pettybourne from Wests

Wigan Warriors have confirmed the signing of Kiwi-born forward Eddy Pettybourne from NRL side Wests Tigers on a two-year contract for seasons 2014 and 2015.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

He has not had the best of seasons for the Tigers so far,but he will probably do well in Super League!

He has been injured hasn't he.

I think in the current climate SLE clubs can only afford better signings if they are older (25 is a decent age for a forward), or have some problems.

We've lost so many players to NRL/RU over the last few years we definitely need a few new bodies in. Especially if Tomkins is leaving.

He has his moments, but it seems an odd signing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Surprising signing this one.  Had a poor year at Souths last year and has been poor for the Tigers this year as well.  He runs hard but usually has a big mistake in most games and misses more than his fair share of tackles.

Why Wigan aren't looking to promote one of their juniors ahead of this signing is puzzling.  If they were looking to add experience and leadership with someone like Roy Asotasi I could understand but Pettybourne provides neither IMO.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

Wigan are a shining example of how to develop young players and feed them through to their first team.  My point here is that signing Pettybourne seems to be a signing from the NRL just for the sake of doing so.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Wigan are a shining example of how to develop young players and feed them through to their first team.  My point here is that signing Pettybourne seems to be a signing from the NRL just for the sake of doing so.

You could be right, I've not seen enough of him to really comment. From Wigan's point of view though, the last thing we need for next season is blooding another young prop.

Spencer, Crosby, Burke and Taylor have all been first teamers this season having had hardly any top level experience. Even Dudson and Flower are in their fairly early 20s and only in their second season at the club.

Outgoings are Prescott (27) and Mossop (24) leaving only Lauaki as a proven, experienced front rower. Even if Pettybourne isn't top class, the sort of pedigree you get playing for Souths could well complement this group of freakishly talented kids.

You could be right, I've not seen enough of him to really comment. From Wigan's point of view though, the last thing we need for next season is blooding another young prop.

Spencer, Crosby, Burke and Taylor have all been first teamers this season having had hardly any top level experience. Even Dudson and Flower are in their fairly early 20s and only in their second season at the club.

Outgoings are Prescott (27) and Mossop (24) leaving only Lauaki as a proven, experienced front rower. Even if Pettybourne isn't top class, the sort of pedigree you get playing for Souths could well complement this group of freakishly talented kids.

All good points well made Gally.

I would consider Pettybourne a second rower rather than a prop though.  Sure, no doubt he would be willing to step up to the front row if asked but he is not the biggest forward around.

As with all NRL signings its worth waiting to see how he goes. Some potentially great signings have turned out to be turkeys and some unknowns have been brilliant over here. The game here doesnt suit all nrl signings.

If Wane and Maguire are still in contact with each other (and EP was at Souths until recently) maybe Madge has seen something in him worth recommending to Wigan.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson