Dewsbury Rams stats project

Tom Coates

Great that there's plenty of interest.

One of the exciting things is that a lot of the content already exists. Steve Horsfall's taken some fantastic photographs in recent years, and our Bulldog mate Gary Coyle has also captured plenty of our matches. I wonder if they'd allow us to use some of their photographs in our not-for-profit book? With full credit of course.  ;)

We've also got Ossy's growing archive of match reports. Ossy - do you have all of your articles saved down?

I've already mentioned some of the great coverage from the Independent during the 90s (when they had a full-time RL correspondent!) and then there's also the Reporter, League Express and match programmes.

Tom

• 3 months later...

Rothmans is all that there is in the public domain as far as I know Tom - any publication relating to RL before 1995 was quite a rarity. There was once a loose association of RL statisticians which I believe was led by Trevor Delaney but I haven't heard any reference to it for many years. Sadly all of the club's records prior to 1991 were lost in the Crown Flatt fire so your only detailed resource prior to that would be the RFl's own archive and the Reporter archive.

It will be a fascinating, frustrating and enjoyable exercise in equal measure - good luck to all involved.

Tom

I've been working on a similar project for Hunslet matches.

I think the statisticians referred to in the above post is the Rugby League Record Keepers Club run by Irving Saxton. They produced teams & scorers sheets for every club from 1895 to 1994. I have the Hunslet sheets & they're pretty comprehensive with just a few teams missing from the eary years.

They were until recently available on disc through the Rugby League collectors Federation run by Richard Bailey, although a recent request for a couple of missing sheets wasn't replied to.

If it'd help at all I could extract the matches involving Hunslet & Dewsbury - it'd at least give you results & dates.

Please reply if you're interested.

• 4 months later...

If you and your team could produce something like that Tom then it would be a marvellous achievement, deserving to sell in their thousands. Lots of hard work lies ahead for somebody but it will be a labour of love.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I think the format works very well in the modern era it also opens up the possibility of a file format for E-readers.

To yourself & your team keep up the good work. If you are in short supply of assistance in editing or number crunching please let me know.

Archived