Dewsbury Rams stats project

Tom Coates

I've started work on stats project, with the aim of creating a spreadsheet containing comprehensive appearances and points details for every player to have played for the club since 1996. James Taylor has offered to help out and we'll be starting to input the data soon.

I am working from LPL's RL Yearbooks and am currently negotiating (with my old employer!) access to archive issues of League Express.

The sheet will record: Starting appearances, Substitute appearances, Total appearances, Tries, Goals, Drop-Goals and Points for Cup (Northern Rail, Trans-Pennine, Regal Trophy, Challenge Cup etc.) League (NFP, NL1, Championship etc.) and Total (sum of League and Cup). There will be also be a year-by-year breakdown.

Once I have a complete sheet I will upload it for everyone to access (and enjoy!?).

Through League Express, I can go back to around 1992 - and the aim is to work backwards to then once I've done the summer era - but can anyone suggest a source for years before then? Is Rothmans my best bet?

Any other thoughts before I start inputting data?

Tom

Rothmans is all that there is in the public domain as far as I know Tom - any publication relating to RL before 1995 was quite a rarity. There was once a loose association of RL statisticians which I believe was led by Trevor Delaney but I haven't heard any reference to it for many years. Sadly all of the club's records prior to 1991 were lost in the Crown Flatt fire so your only detailed resource prior to that would be the RFl's own archive and the Reporter archive.

It will be a fascinating, frustrating and enjoyable exercise in equal measure - good luck to all involved.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Will definitely approach the RFL about what they have.

As I say, initially it'd be nice to have a comprehensive record of the summer era. We can then work backwards from that point.

Also thinking about recording dates of birth for players and links to images where available - but that might be for later in the project.

Tom

This sounds like a wonderful project, especially if records can be replaced for the period affected by the fire. I kept match stats (try scorers, attendances etc) in the early to mid-70s when Dewsbury were one of the best teams in the country. Still got them somewhere along with many programmes going back to the mid-60s.

Thanks. It'd be fantastic if we could make use of any of your own records. In many ways we're starting from scratch here, but if we can produce something that goes back a few years and save it online then it becomes a very useful resource that fans can access and update themselves.

Here's what I have so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tTVFX8W-K57aVOBwrRcPVWskQUdBp3loYcwWREqU95M/pubhtml

At the moment it just contains the 2012 season stats. All the column formulas are in, which means the points totals tally up automatically.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this. Have now got as far back as 2004, including league and cup appearances and points - and also formulas calculating tries, goals and points per game averages.

Have also added in 2013 and 2014 so far.

Some really interesting things emerging, and it's uncovered some real unsung heroes in terms of try returns (in poor seasons) and service to the club.

Haven't actually got the stats in front of me at the moment, but think there are five players since 2004 to have made more than 100 appearances for the club, including two current squad members.

And there are two other current squad members closing in on that milestone.

Will continue to work backwards, with two initial milestones of the start of the summer era and the move to the new ground.

Might be nice to publish stats on September 11, which marks (among other things!!) 20 years since the first game at new crown flatt.

Tom

Or the 13th which is another anniversary entirety but not unrelated to your project.

B)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• 1 month later...

Just another update on this:

I've now passed the opening of the new stadium and am working back to a new milestone of 1989/90, where the old Dewsbury RLFC history book stops, before eventually attempting to go back as far as the 1973 Championship winning side.

The Rothmans and John Player books are extremely cheap on Amazon (£2.80 including postage!) and I've picked up a few over the last few weeks which are now scattered in various places around the house, much to my girlfriend's annoyance.

Thinking about the best way to publish the stats.

• Just upload the spreadsheet
  • Publish as part of a new 'Player Register' website
  • Publish as part of a new 'Dewsbury Rams history' website
  • Publish as part of a new book - a sequel to the existing history book which runs to 1989

Does anyone have any thoughts? Would there be demand for a sequel to / updated version of the old history book? Could it raise money for The Amber Ribbon?

Tom

Just another update on this:

I've now passed the opening of the new stadium and am working back to a new milestone of 1989/90, where the old Dewsbury RLFC history book stops, before eventually attempting to go back as far as the 1973 Championship winning side.

The Rothmans and John Player books are extremely cheap on Amazon (£2.80 including postage!) and I've picked up a few over the last few weeks which are now scattered in various places around the house, much to my girlfriend's annoyance.

Thinking about the best way to publish the stats.

• Just upload the spreadsheet
  • Publish as part of a new 'Player Register' website
  • Publish as part of a new 'Dewsbury Rams history' website
  • Publish as part of a new book - a sequel to the existing history book which runs to 1989

Does anyone have any thoughts? Would there be demand for a sequel to / updated version of the old history book? Could it raise money for The Amber Ribbon?

I would buy the book Tom and would also consult any web based material that you are able to post. As a matter of interest the old book is now difficult to get hold of so the incorporation of the two might be worth considering.

I would buy the book Tom and would also consult any web based material that you are able to post. As a matter of interest the old book is now difficult to get hold of so the incorporation of the two might be worth considering.

I, or rather my old man, has a copy. It's a great book with a nice balance of stats, photos, snippets, player profiles, anecdotes and reports.

I'm nearly in a position where we have the player stats to bridge the gap, and I've saved down a load of archive articles from The Independent's website.

There's also a fantastic online text recognition tool which allows you to scan pages in and save the text down without having to manually type the whole lot in.

I have the last programme from old Crown Flatt and the first from new Crown Flatt, and within these publications are articles which were too late to make the cut in the last edition.

I see Tony Scargill and Ken Crabtree most match days and will raise the idea of publishing an updated version. Could also speak to Martyn Sadler and Tim Butcher at League Publications, or Tony Hannan and Phil Caplan at Scratching Shed about publishing costs etc.

Who else would be interested in purchasing an updated history of Dewsbury RLFC?

Tom

I'll check the stock level in the outside bog Tom and get back to you :focus:

Seriously, good luck with this Tom, might get my old man a copy

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

If you could have a couple of pages for colouring in I bet Piggy's Mate would buy one too.

Archived