Psssst Want a good player for your team? Player Moves etc Latest: DCE and Balin holding things up?

Some big name players are still officially available for signing for nest season:

Lote Tuqiri, Josh Hoffman, Willie Mason, Fuifui Moimoi, Chris Houston, Reece Robinson, Bras Takairangi, Timana Tahu, Tinirau Arona, Jonathan Wright, Bryce Gibbs, Bodene Thompson, Kyle Stanley, Joseph Paulo, Ben Lowe, Heath L’Estrange  -

Have I missed any? Probably.

OK they are the Off contract players and some/many may actually be on a promise.

Still you never know, one or two might be coming your way.

Plus:

The split in the Manly playing ranks has filtered down to the club’s Mad Monday celebrations, at which high-profile Sea Eagles Anthony Watmough and Brett Stewart were notable absentees.

Technically the pair are still contracted to the Sea Eagles for next season but after completely snubbing their teammates, that looks increasingly likely to change.

Joseph Paulo has been resigned for the Eels, rejecting an offer to follow Ricky Stewart to Canberra.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

Tim Glasby isn't going to Cowboys after all despite signing for them.

He's staying at Storm having been allowed out of the commitment on compassionate grounds.

Cowboys have got Ben Hannant though

Matt Duffie is staying with Storm for 2015 despite having a tough couple of seasons with injuries

Bryan Norrie has retired from the game:

Melbourne Storm premiership forward Bryan Norrie has announced his retirement with one year remaining on his contract.

The veteran front-rower made the difficult decision following medical advice on a neck injury.

“It’s shattering and disappointing my career has come to an end,” Norrie said.

“It was a tough decision to make, however based on the medical advice I’ve been given over the last week it was the decision I had to make and importantly think of my family and health first.”

Manly have confirmed Anthony Watmough’s release to the Eels.
In a press conference the club also announced:
* Willie Mason, Feleti Mateo and Siosaia Vave will join the club for 2015, with the side having lost Glenn Stewart, Jason King and Watmough
* JamieLyon has re-signed until the end of 2016

Joe Kelly will become the club’s new CEO from November 24. He is the former chief financial officer at South Sydney.

Just announced via RLW that Josh Hoffman has signed for Gold Coast and Martin Kennedy is off back to the Roosters.

Looks like Wayne Bennett is clearing the decks at Brisbane.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Barba to Sharks from Broncos on three year deal.

So a talented young player who looked a world beater has been transformed into a player on the slide that is picked up by a wooden spoon side.

Isn't that the sign of a healthy league though? God forbid these elite players all just load up on the same 4 or 5 sides a la Super League. Looking forward to seeing the Sharks next year. On paper a top 4 side.

Broncos look really strong this year - Milford and Hunt is a mouth-watering halves combo. I think them, Cowboys and Panthers look like top 3 for mine.

Dragons look a bit of a worry....rumours that Merrin may want out as well? Surely they pin him down with the newly available big bucks post-Brett Morris. Not sure that roster could cope with another elite departure.

Barba to Sharks is interesting given that they apparently only missed out on Benji Marshall due to cash. Suggests Barba has either taken a huge pay cut or the Sharks were near the salary floor when Benji was available and have found some additional sponsor cash. Or that Benji is being grossly overpaid by the Dragons! :)

Seems to have worked out well for the Sharks anyway.

Barba to Sharks is interesting given that they apparently only missed out on Benji Marshall due to cash. Suggests Barba has either taken a huge pay cut or the Sharks were near the salary floor when Benji was available and have found some additional sponsor cash. Or that Benji is being grossly overpaid by the Dragons! :)

Seems to have worked out well for the Sharks anyway.

Seems Sharks have got Ben on the cheap. Broncos are paying half his money for two years!

I don't know what St George are doing. I hope they're not selling half the team to pay all the $$$ to Benji. As a Wests fan, one of my happiest days in recent years was when Benji decided to leave.

I can't believe they let Beale go and replaced him with Nielsen. Beale had a good 2014. When was Nielsen's last good game?

I don't think there is a floor but, over the last few years, club bosses have been pushing for the annual NRL dividend to the clubs to match the salary cap. If this was achieved, we could see a situation where clubs have to submit their salary books to receive their NRL cash.

I'm not sure how a cap floor could be enforced. Teams like the Raiders can't recruit A-list players so they could easily fall beneath the floor despite recruiting as hard as they could.

I also think that a floor of 92% is too high. Every year we see teams fined for going over the cap. Surely leaving a gap of 7.5% in your bill allows you to cover potential emergency overspends. Most of these are injury-related - the Sharks used 37 players in 2014 when the NRL average is 27 - or related to the payment of per-match bonuses, which itself is often inaccurately predicted due to the NRL Salary Cap Auditor's preferred method of estimation.

Archived