Bring back Mcnamara

GLENNGARY

Not one word on our great win last night in the M.E.N. A full page of drivel on Salford pinks. Neil Barker you are a complete prat and its time you called it a day.Rugby league in the Greater Manchester area needs a reporter who is not biased to any one team and can help rugby league to develop across the north west.Tell me Mr Barker how can a team like Swinton who through damned hard work on the part of a dedicated group ever hope to reach out to a larger fan base incorporating both new and lapsed fans without press coverage?. Mr Barker are you a rugby league reporter or Salfords press reporter?. If you are the former then start promoting the game like you should be doing. Swinton Rochdale and Oldham teams in you catchment area need all the press they can get to help them survive. If your incapable of doing this you should call it a day because your not fit for purpose. Mr Macnamara reported on all the teama in the area, attended matches and reported on them there was no team bias with him, he was a proper rugby reporter.

Ian, the comments were not intended about you. you're doing a great job. it just riles me that we can't get all the good things that you and the team and the directors are doing to a wider audience because of a clown that calls himself a rugby league reporter. Outside of Salford reds he doesn't want to know.

It is the same with the BBC - no coverage at all on Radio Manchester - the only rugby league they now cover is Super League, nothing on local BBC TV - nothing in papers, would appear the press is not interested in any team outside Super League..................

I sent a complaint to the BBC sport department pointing out that Swinton Lions match was not the "Northern Rail Cup"

Thanks for contacting the BBC. This is an automated email acknowledging that we’ve received the attached complaint sent in this name. We’ve attached the case reference and text of the complaint for your records (see below).

We’ll normally include the full text of your complaint to BBC staff in the overnight reports we compile for them about the complaints and other reaction we’ve received today (with all your personal details removed). This ensures it will reach the right people quickly tomorrow morning. We’ll then aim to reply to you within 10 working days, or around 2 weeks, but it also depends on the nature of your complaint and whether the relevant people can respond to us in time.

We aim to use your licence fee as efficiently as we can, so if you complained about the same issues as others we will send our response to you and everyone. For the same reason we may not investigate or reply in great detail if a complaint doesn’t suggest a potential breach of BBC standards, or a significant issue of general importance. You can read about our full complaints procedures and how we consider issues which people raise with us at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle-complaint/.

This acknowledgment is automatically generated from an unmonitored address so please don’t reply. If you think you’ve received this in error please contact us using our webform at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your case reference number.

Here are the details of your complaint:

----------

YOUR COMPLAINT:

Complaint Summary: Swinton did not play in the NORTHERN RAIL CUP

Full Complaint: The Swinton game this evening is actually the iPro Sport Cup semi-final not the Northern Rail Cup!

I also noticed that the BBC website had the match being played at Leigh Sports village..........the RFL is at fault in not ensuring adequate coverage in the media - they should be promoting the game outside of Super League - if they are indeed trying to do this - well they are not succeeding. Radio Leeds still has RL focussed sports programme that give equal coverage to Super League, Championship & Championship1 clubs...............so I tune into radio Leeds when ever I can.

And things could get even worse in terms of getting media exposure judging by the first Manchester Weekly News i've seen. Admittedly i don't think there was a Swinton game to report but it simply looks like a rehash of the MEN with a slight local bias in terms of news but a very local property section (which is probably the whole point of the exercise to the MEN). Its the MEN in disguise.Plenty of  United, City oh and yes Salford .  Real local it ain't . I hope this first run is just  'work in progress' . Its not just Swinton who will lose out in this format. Other local semi pro/amateur sport whether it be football, RL, RU, cricket et al should be brassed off it continues. Someone needs to get stuck into their ribs. We're already shut out of the main media outlets as it is.

I also noticed that the BBC website had the match being played at Leigh Sports village........

I noticed that a couple of weeks ago and duly emailed them via their website. After a week or so it was still down as "LSV", so I told our Chairman John Roddy at the Good Friday match.

Not one word on our great win last night in the M.E.N. A full page of drivel on Salford pinks. Neil Barker you are a complete prat and its time you called it a day.Rugby league in the Greater Manchester area needs a reporter who is not biased to any one team and can help rugby league to develop across the north west.Tell me Mr Barker how can a team like Swinton who through damned hard work on the part of a dedicated group ever hope to reach out to a larger fan base incorporating both new and lapsed fans without press coverage?. Mr Barker are you a rugby league reporter or Salfords press reporter?. If you are the former then start promoting the game like you should be doing. Swinton Rochdale and Oldham teams in you catchment area need all the press they can get to help them survive. If your incapable of doing this you should call it a day because your not fit for purpose. Mr Macnamara reported on all the teama in the area, attended matches and reported on them there was no team bias with him, he was a proper rugby reporter.

We were told not very long ago that Barker had been given a 'good talking to' which would result in a 'new era' between the M.E.N. and the Lions. Obviously Barker's still wearing the pink blinkers he's been wearing for years.

He's definitely one leopard who can't change his spots - or so it would seem

OK we all know Mr Barker's track record, but the attitude to clubs outside Super League in media in general is disgraceful - I do not know if we as a Club, e.g board level have contacted the BBC and other media outlets to complain - but maybe now is the time Swinton, Oldham, Rochdale & Leigh join forces and strongly complain to the BBC & MEN to get some attention.

Hi Wayne

I always send my report to Salford online too and they give us great coverage.

It was nice to get a mention on the Rugby programme on Radio Manchester tonight also.

See you all at Barrow on Saturday where they are turning on their new floodlights at the game.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Riggy

Paul, being an avid critic of his I will hold my hand up and acknowledge for once he has written a decent article. That said it is not in the public domain, in otherwords in the papers that most local people [our future fans] read. That is the M.E.N and the new free paper. Those are the papers where we need the publicity. Istill get lapsed fan asking how the Lions are doing, as they never see any writeup about them.WE NEED TO GET THROUGH TO THOSE PAPERS,there readers could be our future fans!

Archived