Out Of The Cup

The King Of Leon

Very disappointing 2nd half display, wind at our back only 8 points behind, Dewsbury were there for the taking  today, no Pryce , Grady or Hemingway just Thackray to spot and tbh we gave him the freedom of the park.He made their  two tries in the 1st half then took a quick tap in the 2nd half which resulted in their 3rd try.I thought 1st half we played well and created 3 or 4 chances that should have brought tries but at 6-6 missed an easy goal from 20 yds in front and instead of 8-6 it become 6 -14. Our game plan started lovely with a 40/20 in the 2nd half but instead of creating chances we created virtually nothing and Aizue came on and ran like a good forward should and it was game over.We need to improve big time at Worky next week.

You just knew when Simon Brown missed the kick under the posts at 6-6 we were not going to win this game.

Normally he can kick from far out , and the best goalkicker Hunslet has had in years.

Dewsbury deserved the win , they wanted it more, normally I get disapointed when loosing a challenge cup game , but I

would rather win at home against London in 2 weeks time , as that's far more important to us. To be honest don't think we will win up at Workington next week , no matter how well we play, but think we have more chance of beating London at home the week after, and think this game will be targeted for the win.

the attendence given out today again was a joke. And does not do the club any favours. There must have been in excess of 800 today.

Good luck to Dews in the next round.

So another year I won't be going to Wembley then !!

I had a feeling we would be undone yesterday tbh. Poorest performance for a few weeks actually, we had plenty of play when we drew level at 6-6, but by god we missed some chances ... knock-ons, held up, held short, missed a kickable penalty ... the old adage about taking your chances loomed large yesterday afternoon.

Neither of the hookers had a particularly good game, and with Brown having an offday with the boot it was left to Kain as pretty much the sole source of creativity. Result was we looked incohesive and short of ideas. Unusually, most of our better players were those away from the ruck - Barnett, Duckworth, Watson. Surely we'd be better starting with Haley and bringing Brennan on on the prop interchange??

Work to be done in training to be sure, but if key players perform like we know they can I don't see why we can't come away from Workington with the points next week. The two teams look almost identical in terms of form and results, need to get over the mental barrier of the journey, as always is the case in Cumbria.

Well done to Dewsbury, undoubtedly worthy winners this time, and best of luck next round. Still think the league points from early season match were more important though !!

536 indeed ! :O

I feel that this definitely one that got away. WE had as many good breaks as Dewsbury did, but Dewsbury's last gasp defence once we had broken the line was better than ours. I don't want to sound too one sided as in the end the team that takes there opportunities deserves the victory, but the forward pass to give Dewsbury the first half lead was ridiculous. Jimmy had the player and he just threw out an obvious way forward speculative pass. Positives? in the forwards Rob Mulhern, Charlie Martin, Liam Mackay & Michael Haley did not let us down. In the backs? Jimmy Watson was fantastic played his heart out. Negatives? both Jack Lee and George Flanagan had quiet days and even Simon Brown was not his usually self  although his field kicking was still vital. Big Brad Brennan in defence was done a couple of times. Not all his fault. the guys either side of him need to take this into account and stand closer as the opposition is not running through Brad,  just swerving past him. Also if he is involved in the a tackle, Big Brad should stay @ the play the ball.

Can we beat Dewsbury on their home ground later in the season? I think if we play a bit sharper and smarter we can.

Workington away is a big ask, but again doable. It will be interesting to see the side Hunslet put out on Sunday.

Comments on the season so far? I feel that we are a stronger side that two seasons ago when we were last in the Championship and thus given a decent bounce of the ball, we could survive relegation. However we do miss that something that David Marsh brought to the team. That on the field leadership quality, although I accept that the pace and impact at this level would have been a season too far for him.

Archived