Your oldest memorabilia

Obviously no Rugby League programme can pre-date 1895 but what is your oldest Rugby League related memorabilia?

I have a 1881 Wakefield Trinity ‘Rules and Relegations’ booklet.  I believe the cover is missing and it does have tape repairs but otherwise is in good condition.

The thing that interests me is the use of the phrase Lieutenant instead of Vice Captain. I wonder when the use of Lieutenant faded out?

That's a real antique tackler70!

I have a Wigan Highfield v St Helens Recs from 1926 and approx 20 London Highfield programmes from their only season in 1933/34.

The rest of my collection is Liverpool Stanley 45 pre war and around 150 post war.

The thing that interests me is the use of the phrase Lieutenant instead of Vice Captain. I wonder when the use of Lieutenant faded out?

That is brilliant. We have got to try and bring that back. Way way better than vice-captain.

My oldest programme is from 1930. Pre-war stuff is just so scarce and therefore expensive. If you don't 'inherit' stuff, it seems impossible to get hold of.

A few programmes from Workington Towns first season in 1945-46

There is one prog from that season on ebay with a current starting price of £79.99 which is just wrong. Town's first game vs Broughton Rangers may approach that price, but not a normal league game

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived